Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Looking at the processing times for partner visas I can expect to get mine in less than 10 months, so I thought that I could risk doing my health assessment now (as my work schedule is a bit more flexible in the next weeks).

I plan to travel overseas in the next months and was wondering if there is a risk of getting my visa granted while overseas if my visa application is complete?

Thank you,

Trill

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Skybluebrewer,

Yes I know, that was why I was worried.

Initially, I planned to not do the medical exam before being requested as an insurance to not risk to get my visa approved while being offshore, but at right now would really be a good moment for me to get it done.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Hi Skybluebrewer,

Yes I know, that was why I was worried.

Initially, I planned to not do the medical exam before being requested as an insurance to not risk to get my visa approved while being offshore, but at right now would really be a good moment for me to get it done.
This is not possible. An onshore visa won't be granted while you're offshore. You must be onshore for finalization.

Not sure I understand what you're saying here.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I am not sure if it is technically possible to grant an 820 while applicant is offshore, I know they should not be offshore when granted.

That's why I would just inform the Case Officer of my travel intentions. If lucky they might grant it before you go offshore or will know when to expect you back for processing.

I would assume with VEVO these days there is a physical block for the grant if you are not on or offshore as required for a grant - but you never know how some programs are ever accepted without simple safeguards in place.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
"You must be in Australia when you lodge your application and when a decision is made on the temporary Partner visa (subclass 820)."

Even if they could grant it while offshore, it would be an irrelevant issue because the 820 comes with travel rights to re-enter Australia anyway.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Was there ever a reply from the applicant that went offshore to New Zealand for a 309 decision, and returned prior to the decision?

Immigration did not act on the itinerary that I think was return emailed but not also uploaded to immiaccount and reminded just prior to departure from Australia.

I think they could not afford to go back offshore and were going to try sort something with immigration.

Was a while ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I think I understand, but honestly, I still don't trust the Immi department for that matter in case there is a glitch in the system. Think I will still follow the first suggestion and upload a note to the CO.

This afternoon I also called Immigration and they also said that the would normally not approve onshore visas if the applicant is overseas - tried to call them for days and managed to get through today after waiting for 4 hrs :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
To be honest, i just don't understand it.

Like my wife applied 820 May 2017, now on BVA. Just applied BVB, planning to go overseas early May.

I know that 820 visa can only be granted onshore. what does it mean really?

So as long as the applicant while in offshore, the IMMI won't grant you the 820 visa??

Don't they normally just send you a grant notice letter/email no matter whether you are onshore or offshore? or they need to check your status (onshore or offshore) before they grant you the 820 visa?

I am quite confused by this!!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Well you're required to update them if you go offshore while waiting for an onshore decision so that's a good idea. The website has the information you need.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
I know that 820 visa can only be granted onshore. what does it mean really?

So as long as the applicant while in offshore, the IMMI won't grant you the 820 visa??

Don't they normally just send you a grant notice letter/email no matter whether you are onshore or offshore? or they need to check your status (onshore or offshore) before they grant you the 820 visa?

I am quite confused by this!!

Thanks
The 820 cannot be granted to an applicant who is offshore. The legislation will not allow it, so the DoHA must wait until the applicant is in Australia. If they are ready to grant it and the applicant is overseas, I assume they will contact you to advise that the visa is ready and will be granted when the applicant returns to Australia. If the applicant is in Australia already, they'd simply send the finalised grant notice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only 4 hours, go buy a lotto ticket.
Well, I wasn't on the line for that long ;) When I called the expected waiting time was 1 hour so I decided to take the option to be called back by them without losing my spot in the queue.

After 2 hours I tried again to call but was kicked out immediately with the message that no operator would be available for the rest of the day. Eventually, they called me back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.