Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will make my first entry for the subclass 300 visa this christmas but might move to australia permanently in May 2014. I need to finish a project at work. Fiance and I are thinking of getting married around May as well. Still undecided if we should do it in the philippines, singapore or australia. I am more leaning towards singapore and australia though since its easier and more convenient. Thinking about the wedding is draining me. I am not really good at planning events what more for my own. We are tight on the budget as well. They say the bride's family pays for the wedding. My family however cannot afford it. I dont have enough money to fund it on my own. I do want a nice wedding but thinking about the costs brings me down. I wouldn't want my fiance to spend so much. How did you plan your wedding? Who paid for it?

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Hi Jessica - I moved your thread here to the Immigration forum where it will get more answers (even though it's only tangentially immigration related). Your 300 was granted 4 September, right? Just making sure. May would be okay then. You just can't do it later than that as you have to have married and applied for your 820 within nine months of your 300 being granted. So keep that in mind, as well as the fact that it is going to take you some time to compile all that application information and you don't want to cut it too close.

I know what you mean about the wedding costs. I'm in the same boat - no way could my family afford to help, and my fiance and I are both in our mid-thirties anyway. So we'll be paying for the wedding ourselves. It's not going to be easy given all the expense of immigration, though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi there, I know someone who came to Australia on PMV (300) and they haven't had any wedding yet. What I heard they did is that they went to sign for a marriage certificate at the Birth, Death and Marriage registration center and then apply for 820 onshore. From what I believe, Australia doesn't fancy big expensive wedding in order to apply for 820 visa. If cost is one thing that is stopping u from all this, I'd suggest you just go and register your marriage and have a small celebration. And after you settle down in Australia, get a job, start saving then you probably can start thinking about a fancier wedding in the future.

Hope this helps and congratulations for getting ur 300 !!

-2110Lin

·
Registered
21 Posts
thanks collegegirl and 2110Lin! Yes, need to get married before 4th june. We might just get married earlier then for the paperwork. :)
You're very welcome! And I do think that you should get it done and over with the paper work and everything.

Hope everything's gonna be fine and run smoothly for u! Best of luck. :)

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
You can get married in Australia for less than 1,000 if you wish. You can get a marriage celebrant for around 500 (this is roughly the same price as to get married at the registry office). Then you can get married where you want and the celebrant comes to you. So you could get married at a park and have a bbq afterwards if you want to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can get married in Australia for less than 1,000 if you wish. You can get a marriage celebrant for around 500 (this is roughly the same price as to get married at the registry office). Then you can get married where you want and the celebrant comes to you. So you could get married at a park and have a bbq afterwards if you want to.
I agree wtih Mish. this is what i see as the beauty of getting married in australia, really. unlike my home country where people compete with each other to see who's richer than who, everyone (including me) fancies big and expensive weddings. i've always wanted one but then after reviewing all the costs that associated with migration, i probably have to wait till next life to have one lol. at the very moment, my partner and i just wanna be together without drama. all the best for ur wedding planning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.