Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I arrived in Australia 2 months ago on a working holiday visa and have been working as a sub contractor on my ABN on a building site(Qualified Carpenter). The guy i am woking for is happy with my work and is interested in sponsoring me.

to be eligible for sponsorship does the work need to be in regional areas? as its currently located in the Gold Coast.

Do i have to be directly employed to show proof of income under my TFN or can i be sponsored from being sub contracted on my ABN? (If so how long to does direct employment have to be?)

at the minute it is just me and my boss as it is a small business,will this affect the sponsorship?

is the 457 visa my best option?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
As there were recent changes to the 457 visas, I don't think you can get much help from here.

There are about 5 or 6 Registered Migration Agents that often post on this forum, they will have a better idea of your options. I would consult 1 of them and I understand that it will cost between $150 - $200 (chances are this is a tax deduction for you). I would recommended any of them on this site.

Is your current boss paying your 9.5% superannuation contribution?

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Hi, I arrived in Australia 2 months ago on a working holiday visa and have been working as a sub contractor on my ABN on a building site(Qualified Carpenter). The guy i am woking for is happy with my work and is interested in sponsoring me.

to be eligible for sponsorship does the work need to be in regional areas? as its currently located in the Gold Coast.

Do i have to be directly employed to show proof of income under my TFN or can i be sponsored from being sub contracted on my ABN? (If so how long to does direct employment have to be?)

at the minute it is just me and my boss as it is a small business,will this affect the sponsorship?

is the 457 visa my best option?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
What would you do if I asked you to quickly explain to me the basics of framing an entire house and roof ? Where would you start?

There have been a lot of changes recently and there a few different options all with their own requirements.

Your best bet is to book a consultation with a registered migration agent,so they can access the options and give you some factsheets spelling out all the details.The same goes for your boss. Sponsoring someone is a complex matter and very few employers have a proper understanding of the process.

That way you can both make an informed decision. I haven't got time to look into it at the moment, but happy to refer you someone Gold Coast if you want to talk to someone face to face.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Yep he is a pretty good RMA.

Hey Nick, I would start at the floor and work up to the roof. Never worked that gravity thing out yet!

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Yep he is a pretty good RMA.

Hey Nick, I would start at the floor and work up to the roof. Never worked that gravity thing out yet!
Starting at the bottom is always good practice.

It's not only that though, you have all sort of different building types ,different building regulations in different areas and so on, so how would you start explaining it to people, unless they were a lot more specific ?

Migration law is a bit like that.

It would take me several hours to work out the various options for a particular trade or profession, more now, because of all the changes.You'd also have to check out the sponsor's situation. It's not just a simple yes or no question.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts

It's not only that though, you have all sort of different building types ,different building regulations in different areas and so on, so how would you start explaining it to people, unless they were a lot more specific ?

It would take me several hours to work out the various options for a particular trade or profession, more now, because of all the changes.You'd also have to check out the sponsor's situation. It's not just a simple yes or no question.
Yep I can see that.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts

Yep I can see that.
Problem is that not everybody realises that and many people expect to get that sort of detailed information for free. I'm not sure what other profession would do that. If your electronic device plays up, the repair guy is not going to spend an hour telling you how to fix it yourself. He'll tell you to leave it there and he'll check it out for a fee with no guarantee that it can be fixed or what the cost of fixing it will be.

With a new skilled client I'd typically look at their qualifications and work experience, their English skills,can they meet the requirements for a skills assessment, their overall personal background, any health or character issues. Then I'd look into the sponsor's business details and history.

That's just the basic start. The next step is to look at the various skills lists and ANZSCO and which visas they could be eligible for.

Then I would work my way down from the most beneficial visa through all the other options. Maybe there is an option for state sponsorship? More requirements to be checked.

Once we narrowed down the options I'd check the relevant migration regulations and PAMs for the latest updates and on it goes..

It's quite a time-consuming process.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
It is not unusual to spend half a day or more requesting and checking the academic, training and employment certifications of a prospective skilled visa applicant against the relevant regulations and in employer nomination cases a similar amount of time confirming a prospective employer's status and eligibility.

One employer got cold feet when I advised him that he would have to invest $120K in a training fund. Some bail out for much less than this.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
It is not unusual to spend half a day or more requesting and checking the academic, training and employment certifications of a prospective skilled visa applicant against the relevant regulations and in employer nomination cases a similar amount of time confirming a prospective employer's status and eligibility.

One employer got cold feet when I advised him that he would have to invest $120K in a training fund. Some bail out for much less than this.
That's why I always require an upfront payment.I really do not understand the notion that migration agents should provide free initial consultations other than a general 5 minute chat. It requires a lot of time to properly research individual cases. I simply won't bother with people who do not appreciate the value and cost of the process.They certainly would not provide THEIR services for free, regardless of what their trade or profession is.

Over the years,I have had plenty of inquiries from tradies on a WHV and have assisted a few through employer sponsorship all the way through to Australian citizenship. However, the vast majority, in my personal experience, do no want to spend any money. That's fine( I've been a backpacker myself and I remember what it is like), but I am not willing to waste any time on it. I won't even book consultations with backpackers anymore without an advance payment, as the vast majority do the rounds of local agents with no intention of paying any money at all or simply don't turn up without even bothering to cancel the appointment. Many of my colleagues have similar experiences.

None of this may apply to the OP of course and I certainly do not want to discourage him from posting here in order to find the information he is after. I would encourage him to do some basic research first though, so he can ask more specific questions that others could possibly answer for him.

His sponsor should definitely get some professional advice, before doing anything else, as very few business owners have a clear understanding of what is involved in sponsorship.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.