Australia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions, and they might be quite basic, but I'm hoping you can help me have some certainty! My husband (Swiss) and I (Aussie) are planning to move to Australia in December. It seems the simplist process for my husband would be to enter Australia on a Visitor Visa, and apply immediately for a Partner Visa 820/801. My question is, is that legal? Is that a standard and acceptable way to apply for a partner visa? (It seems to be fine from the information I can find, but I wouldn't like to find out once we get there that it's not and he has to leave after his visitor visa expires!) My 2nd question is; what happens if he applies and his 820 doesn't finish processing before his visitor visa expires, should he then apply for a bridging visa BVA 010? Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I have two questions, and they might be quite basic, but I'm hoping you can help me have some certainty! My husband (Swiss) and I (Aussie) are planning to move to Australia in December. It seems the simplist process for my husband would be to enter Australia on a Visitor Visa, and apply immediately for a Partner Visa 820/801. My question is, is that legal? Is that a standard and acceptable way to apply for a partner visa? (It seems to be fine from the information I can find, but I wouldn't like to find out once we get there that it's not and he has to leave after his visitor visa expires!) My 2nd question is; what happens if he applies and his 820 doesn't finish processing before his visitor visa expires, should he then apply for a bridging visa BVA 010? Thanks for your help guys!
Many people enter Australia as a visitor and then decide to stay, once they know that the country is for them.

If they have the required relationship history they then apply for the 820, and receive a BVA after application. That BVA is not active at that point.
It becomes active when the visitor visa expires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many people enter Australia as a visitor and then decide to stay, once they know that the country is for them.

If they have the required relationship history they then apply for the 820, and receive a BVA after application. That BVA is not active at that point.
It becomes active when the visitor visa expires.
Hi Bridley,

I just found this topic similar to what I was looking for, so came into this discussion.

As you said, bridging happens once a tourist visa expires. In that case, does that mean if a Tourist visa if been granted for one year with multiple entry-exit possibilities and 3 months of maximum stay at a time would be eligible for bridging only after 1 year of visa expiry or after 3 months it's possible?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did this same thing with my 820 - I arrived on a visitor visa and applied once in Australia (just make sure you apply while your visitor visa is still active). Once you submit & pay for the 820 application, you should be automatically granted the bridging visa (I received an acknowledgment of the 820 submission email, and the bridging visa email right after submitting).

However, the bridging visa will not be valid until the visitor visa expires. For me (USA citizen), I had a visitor visa that was valid for one year, with stays of up to 90 days each time. I only had to wait until the 90 days stay was over, and then my BVA became valid. Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Bridley,

I just found this topic similar to what I was looking for, so came into this discussion.

As you said, bridging happens once a tourist visa expires. In that case, does that mean if a Tourist visa if been granted for one year with multiple entry-exit possibilities and 3 months of maximum stay at a time would be eligible for bridging only after 1 year of visa expiry or after 3 months it's possible?
Only after the 3 months maximum stay if you apply for the 820 during that time when you are in Australia, you do not have to wait for the one year expiry

·
Registered
1 Posts
Further to this... Within those 3 months can the person applying for the 820 VISA leave Australia and enter again after it is Granted? Say for eg.. the prospective spouse enters Australia on a Tourist Visa (3 Yrs, each stay=3 months). Has a Registered Marriage and applies for 820. Then leave Australia for 2-3 months before arriving again to stay permanently with the Spouse? Is this possible? On re-entry which VISA allows the Re-entry the Visitor VISA or the BVA?

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
On re-entry which VISA allows the Re-entry the Visitor VISA or the BVA?
The BVA only comes into effect when the visitor visa expires, which in your example would be after three months onshore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, really useful chat for me as my wife and I are planning on doing the exact same thing in the near future. Just wondering if anyone knows if when my wife enters Australia on a tourist visa before we apply for the 801 visa that she needs to have a return ticket back to the U.K. booked or would she be able to enter Australia with a one way ticket?

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Hi guys, really useful chat for me as my wife and I are planning on doing the exact same thing in the near future. Just wondering if anyone knows if when my wife enters Australia on a tourist visa before we apply for the 801 visa that she needs to have a return ticket back to the U.K. booked or would she be able to enter Australia with a one way ticket?
The rules on a return ticket vary by airline.

Some countries national airlines require a return ticket to leave their country when holding a visitor visa to Australia. Others do not.

Pretty sure the UK doesn't. They didn't when I did the trip on a visitor visa.

When my wife from the Philippines did a visitor visa trip here, the Philippine passport control needed to see her return ticket before letting her board the flight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts