Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
AustraliaForum.com Editor
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can do all of the homework in the world but nothing beats the experience of actually living the dream and moving to Australia. We thought it would be interesting to learn what most surprised you when you first moved to Australia?

Perhaps it was the culture, the food, the language, the cost of goods, how friendly the people were, or any other element of everyday life?

·
Registered
474 Posts
We haven't moved yet but the first time I went to a grocery store I noticed that Rice Krispies were called Rice Bubbles and I laughed for days! Also, the fact that trays of meat are raffled off is mind boggling!

·
Registered
442 Posts
wonder if they still have chook raffles in some of the country pubs....having a great old fashioned counter meal n a few coldies is heaven...

·
Registered
332 Posts
WALLABIES! They're everywhere. We're having picnic in NSW, wallabies has no fear to human and request for food from us.haha

·
Registered
831 Posts
Things that genuinely surprised me...

Well on my first visit in Australia to see my partner we hit a kangaroo on the way home from the airport. That was within my first half hour in Australia. I dare say that was a surprise!

What surprised me as a pet-lover (especially cats) is the amount of stray animals and how many are in kill shelters. This is unheard of where I come from and I'd only seen it previously in the U.S. so I was pretty shocked.

I hate to stick with the animal theme (no I don't) but what also surprised me was the amount of spiders around the house. We live on the verge of the countryside (only just in Melbourne) and live with my parents in law, who love to collect wood in the big backyard to make fires in winter in the fireplace. Countryside, plus piles of wood, plus in-laws who like to live and let live, is I've seen too many spiders already :p I thought that was just like a thing tourists got too worked up about and you don't really see many of them... not here. Here you see plenty of them!

·
Registered
456 Posts
When my parents first arrived in the early nineties, they couldn't believe how good the food was as compared to what they were used to in our home country. They each put on 10kg in the first month!

What amazes me to this day was the amount of support offered to new immigrants at the time. We were met at the airport by people who could speak our language, who took us to the unit that had been prepared for us in their own car. There were groups of units set up by the government, and each group had people from the same cultural background so everyone could easily and immediately make friends. We have maintained these friendships for twenty years. When we arrived in our furnished unit, the fridge was full of food. The government arranged tours of the city to help everyone acclimatise, and free classes at TAFE for immigrants to improve their skills. Everyone was given the equivalent of the jobseeker allowance for the first six months or a year to help them while they looked for work. Sounds unbelievable now!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I found that things were expensive - when I first checked places to rent on gumtree I thought the prices were monthly :)

I also found it easy to find a job and I earned significantly more than I would do in London - a pleasant surprise. It's nice earning Aussie dollars and going back to London to spend them!

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
I found that things were expensive - when I first checked places to rent on gumtree I thought the prices were monthly :)

I also found it easy to find a job and I earned significantly more than I would do in London - a pleasant surprise. It's nice earning Aussie dollars and going back to London to spend them!
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when my fiance told me what he pays in rent... and then that it was weekly! :-O I completely get that!

Reactions: cjka

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was surprised by a number of things when I first moved to Brisbane, most of them positive :)

- So many nice parks and green areas, with BBQs freely available to anyone.
- Employees in the grocery store always asking me how I was feeling and telling me about their day.
- The variety in food and quality of restaurants - I've had some pretty amazing meals!
- Medicare. How quickly you got back money from it (straight into my account the next day!) and that it also covered my consultation at the optometrist.
- Bush Turkeys! I couldn't understand why there was a chicken on my roof the first morning! Lol. Bush Turkeys were a new concept to me.
- Giant bats. First time I saw one I seriously wondered if these Bush Turkeys also flew around at night. They're huge!
- The number of live bands at pubs/night clubs. No matter where you go there is ALWAYS some guy or girl with a guitar.
- How much the rent is. It's a LOT more than what I'm used to.
- How quickly the sun sets during summer! I'd never really thought about it at all, but in Norway (the part I grew up in) the sun doesn't set until 10-11pm during summer, and around 5pm during winter. It was actually a big adjustment for me getting used to the sun setting a lot earlier, and that it would pretty much always get dark not long after I got got from work. I'm still trying to get used to that.

I was prepared for the spiders and stuff like that, so that didn't really come as a surprise. I did shake my shoes every morning for almost a month though, after a giant huntsman visited my room one night.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Well everyone or ost knows my biggest shock was the price of things lol, im getting over this now.
The spiders are huge here and so black and thick legged arggggg
The BBQ areas the shires actually provides gas wonderful
How green everything is here and that smell of cut grass reminds me of UK
The greenie birds ( as I call them, there parrots) they come in the garden and feed, that was amazing to see for me as I usually see them in cages back home.
The most point that impressed me is how the Australians obey the rules out here, watering the gardens certain days of the week, driving within the speed limit, and has anyone noticed just how clean the streets are now that impressed me.
You see guys there are things I love about this wonderful country lol.
Louiseb

Reactions: CollegeGirl

·
Registered
474 Posts
Louise, I so agree with you on the rules! It's crazy how you can be driving on a highway, and slow down to a near stop when you come to a town. That would never happen here! And the parrots coming to the backyards (and cockatoos) really amazed me!

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Louise, I so agree with you on the rules! It's crazy how you can be driving on a highway, and slow down to a near stop when you come to a town. That would never happen here! And the parrots coming to the backyards (and cockatoos) really amazed me!
I hear Oz uses hidden cameras, etc. to enforce speed limit and are much more strict about it... maybe that's why. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.