Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my IELTS results and once again they have left me just close enough to my required band which makes me questions the credibility of this overall system. I have been taking this exam for past 2 months and so far I have taken this exam 3-4 times. I need 8 bands each for immigration purpose and in my first two exams my average was 7.5. In my last exam I received L.8.5, R.7.5, W.8, and S.7. Since I needed 8 overall I decided to take this exam again and this time I've got L.8,R.8,W.7,S.8. This makes me wonder how many time more will I have to prove my proficiency in English to this Institute before they give me 8 each. Is there anyone else out there facing the same problem??

·
Registered
332 Posts
if i were you, i won't spend those time and money to fulfill their english requirement.
Just take the best result and apply, not all native englishmen could hit band 8 on each module.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in a similar situation, I've taken IELTS once & have scored 7.5 overall. One of the requirements for SOL 175 visa class is to score 7 on all 4 sections. However I scored 6.5 on reading. I am from non English speaking country & am falling short of scoring 65 points requirement from DIAC. I am currently in USA & here we don't have ielts general exam as often. Further it happens normally in far off cities. I wish to apply before 1st Jul because of rule changes. I am taking my second shot at ielts by traveling to las Vegas just to take this exam. Any advice what can be done in the situation if I again fail to score 7 on each of the 4 sections & the next ielts is on Jun 30th? My dilemma is even I can try more but 1st Jul date will be missed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
if i were you, i won't spend those time and money to fulfill their english requirement.
Just take the best result and apply, not all native englishmen could hit band 8 on each module.
Hi Nemesis,
I realise that getting 8 in each, and that too in the same exam will be quite difficult for me, specially when English is my 2nd language, but my results so far have always been so close to the required band that I always get a feeling may be in next attempt I will get it. I also know that I have wasted a lot of my money and time taking this exam but I was wondering, if I proceed with your suggestion, what is the sucess rate of such application? Immi. dept. is receiving thousands of applications every day and if I submit my application ( 885 subclass) which does not meet the 65 point criteria, under current point system, will they even accept my app. in the first place? After adding all the points for my present situation , I am sitting at 60 out of 65 and need 8 in each after which I will be at 70 points ( unlike previous point system, immi. dept. dosent have any inbetween points for 7.5 )
I have another exam tomarrow (GT) and if I fail to score in that as well, I will probably enroll for Academic , may be next month as from what I know, the new rules ( to be implemented from 1st of July 2012) will not be applicable for onshore applicants till 1st January ( I am on TR-485). I am also planning to apply for re-evaluation of my writing as I am quite confident that even though my essay was a bit short, it was better structured and coherent then my previous exam's essay in which I got 8.
* Correction from my 1st post. I do not need 8 overall, I need 8 each.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys,

I needed 7 each and got in second attempt. Getting 8 in each module is remarkable task, good luck with that. I'm also stuck with 475 visa which doesn't include main cities of any state. On the other hand, I can't get 176 because of less experience.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Before i took IELTS, it do be unfair to us as english is our 2nd language.
Getting band 8 is extremely tough. I've working in construction industry and didn't go for class for 9 years. When it's a requirement to take the exam for the sake of PR, i did spend most of my time study english again. My brain just has to restart again for the exam.
I dont see any choice besides taking exam to apply PR

·
Registered
9 Posts
AspireOZ said:
I am in a similar situation, I've taken IELTS once & have scored 7.5 overall. One of the requirements for SOL 175 visa class is to score 7 on all 4 sections. However I scored 6.5 on reading. I am from non English speaking country & am falling short of scoring 65 points requirement from DIAC. I am currently in USA & here we don't have ielts general exam as often. Further it happens normally in far off cities. I wish to apply before 1st Jul because of rule changes. I am taking my second shot at ielts by traveling to las Vegas just to take this exam. Any advice what can be done in the situation if I again fail to score 7 on each of the 4 sections & the next ielts is on Jun 30th? My dilemma is even I can try more but 1st Jul date will be missed
I was in a similar situation. I speak English fluently bit it was such a struggle to score above an 8. Not because the test was difficult, but I take issue with the credibility of this whole testing system. The only advice I can give is to pay close attention during the listening and reading. Also make sure your essay is well thought out before you begin writing. Finally for the speaking try to articulate your points clearly and effectively. Try to expound on your points without any "ahhh" or "ummms". Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Before i took IELTS, it do be unfair to us as english is our 2nd language.
Getting band 8 is extremely tough. I've working in construction industry and didn't go for class for 9 years. When it's a requirement to take the exam for the sake of PR, i did spend most of my time study english again. My brain just has to restart again for the exam.
I dont see any choice besides taking exam to apply PR
which visa are you applying for?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Applying for subclass 175. CO assigned last week and required me to submit health check & police check.
I may need to delay on the application due to my wife going to deliver our new baby this coming Nov.2012 and she can't do the health test until the baby is born. So, i need to substantiate the letter of confirmation from doctor to DIAC.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Applying for subclass 175. CO assigned last week and required me to submit health check & police check.
I may need to delay on the application due to my wife going to deliver our new baby this coming Nov.2012 and she can't do the health test until the baby is born. So, i need to substantiate the letter of confirmation from doctor to DIAC.
Good luck with the new baby. I'm not very informed about 175, I'll be applying through 475 with a relative sponsorship.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got an average of 8.5 . In the GT exam . If you practice essays and letter writing , you will get through it ok . Reading can be tricky but just buy some practice books like " ace the ielts " its worth it . There are loads of free downloads on the net if you google ielts . Good luck 1 and all .

·
Registered
3 Posts
@AspireOZ

Consider yourself lucky to miss the July 1st date. I feel skillselect is far better (and quicker) method in visa process than the old one for 175 visa class. Hope you will cross 7 band baseline this time. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi, I was in the same situation but i wanted 7 at least in each part of the exam in academic module, after taking the exam 5 times and always missed it for 0.5 in writing, i decided to ask a re-assessed. so my test was re assesed and finaly i got 7. i also believe that in non english speaking countries the system is not so reliable. anyway, i wish good luck to everyone. and something else, do not apply for a visa when you don't fullfill all the requirements, they are going to deny your appliance, it is written in the information clearly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.