Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I will be submitting my Pattner visa shortly, but was wondering if anyone can tell me when I will be able to start work? Is it at end of process? Right away? How many months after it鈥檚 submitted?
Thanks all in advance 馃檪

Premium Member
Somewhat depends on circumstance but generally when your current visa expires and you move onto the bridging visa associated with the partner visa.

Reactions: LadyRogueRayne

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you PaulHand. So it鈥檚 not the 17-20 months until Temporary visa is granted? The Bridging visa (which is automatically included in Partner visa) will take effect as soon as my visitors visa expires (within 3 months after I get there), Then I can start work?

Registered
If you have a Visitors Visa - the Bridging Visa A will kick in when the stay period ends (that is a variable) but often 3 months but can be less or more even 12 months.

But it sounds like you are not yet in Australia - are you aware of the new law change?

You might not get to apply for a Partner Visa while on the Visitor Visa.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I鈥檝e been living there since oct 2016 (I鈥檓 married to an Aussie) but continually renewing my tourist visa. I鈥檓 on holiday till next Wednesday when I go back and submit my package. Yes, I heard about changing visa laws, so I鈥檓 trying to get it done ASAP. I鈥檓 not sure how much has changed, so I need to get more info regarding that. My main concern was at what point after submitting package will I be allowed to work. My husbands company is offering me a position as soon as I鈥檓 able to work.

Premium Member
I'm surprised they've allowed you to continually renew your visitor visa since 2016 so you may start to face difficulties with that since a visitor visa isn't intended for someone to "live" in Australia. But if you re-enter the country and then submit your partner visa application, you would move onto the bridging visa when the stay period ends.

If you refer to your visitor visa, it should say how long you are entitled to remain (e.g. 3 months). The visitor visa will expire the moment you remain beyond that stay period and then the bridging visa comes into effect.

Registered
It will depend on what kind of visa you currently holding. Normally your main visa still effected then your bridging visa. I suggest you carefully consult an agent and know all the restrictions before you applying for any other visa. Otherwise you may not have any work or travel rights.

Premium Member
It will depend on what kind of visa you currently holding. Normally your main visa still effected then your bridging visa. I suggest you carefully consult an agent and know all the restrictions before you applying for any other visa. Otherwise you may not have any work or travel rights.
BVAs associated with partner visa applications made from a substantive visa have nil conditions. If the OP wants to travel they need to apply for a BVB.

Registered
I'm surprised they've allowed you to continually renew your visitor visa since 2016 so you may start to face difficulties with that since a visitor visa isn't intended for someone to "live" in Australia. But if you re-enter the country and then submit your partner visa application, you would move onto the bridging visa when the stay period ends.

If you refer to your visitor visa, it should say how long you are entitled to remain (e.g. 3 months). The visitor visa will expire the moment you remain beyond that stay period and then the bridging visa comes into effect.
Yes, since there is a maximum of 12 months within an 18 month period allowed, I am surprised this has slipped through.

I have a question Maggie May regarding the bridging visa. The Partner Visa is not decided upon (and may take 12 months or more) yet the applicant can stay until there is a decision handed down on a Bridging Visa?

Registered
Yes, since there is a maximum of 12 months within an 18 month period allowed, I am surprised this has slipped through.

I have a question Maggie May regarding the bridging visa. The Partner Visa is not decided upon (and may take 12 months or more) yet the applicant can stay until there is a decision handed down on a Bridging Visa?
That's the purpose of the bridging visa, to allow the person to remain onshore while awaiting a decision on their application.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went originally on a 3 month tourist visa, then was granted an extended stay visa for an additional 9 months. Then I reapplies for another tourist visa for 3 months. Each time I am leaving the country and applying outside of Australia. Not violating anything to my knowledge.

Premium Member
I went originally on a 3 month tourist visa, then was granted an extended stay visa for an additional 9 months. Then I reapplies for another tourist visa for 3 months. Each time I am leaving the country and applying outside of Australia. Not violating anything to my knowledge.
I wasn't implying you have violated any rules, just I'm surprised they would allow you to have so many subsequent visitor visas since they are usually quite firm on the "a visitor visa is not intended to allow you to live in Australia".

Registered
I think that comment was in response to my previous one, not yours Maggie-May. I had missed that they were two different people posting and thought one person had been living in Australia since Oct 2016 on a tourist visa that only allowed 12 months in 18 months.

Registered
Somewhat depends on circumstance but generally when your current visa expires and you move onto the bridging visa associated with the partner visa.
Hi!
My tourist visa expired in (latest entry date) Oct 2019, but my stay period will end in 25 April (after 3 months). If I submit 820 application mid April, will my BVA started in April or October?

Thank you!

Premium Member
Hi!
My tourist visa expired in (latest entry date) Oct 2019, but my stay period will end in 25 April (after 3 months). If I submit 820 application mid April, will my BVA started in April or October?

Thank you!
BVA would come into effect on 25 April. Just be aware that if the new sponsorship requirements are implemented by then, you may not be able to lodge your sc. 820 visa application before your tourist visa stay period runs out.

Reactions: LadyRogueRayne

Registered
As far as I know whether you have working right while on bridging visa is all depends on the type and criteria of the visa that you was holding before your bridging visa granted.

Lets say you was holding visitor visa which didn't allow you to work in Australia , then you 're NOT allow to work even you have got the Bridging visa... It was something I was told when I got my bridging visa few years ago. I don't know if the rule has changes so you better ask the immigration.

Registered
BVA would come into effect on 25 April. Just be aware that if the new sponsorship requirements are implemented by then, you may not be able to lodge your sc. 820 visa application before your tourist visa stay period runs out.
Would you mind explaining further what is the new sponsorship requirement?
And will I be allowed to work?

Thank you!

Registered
As far as I know whether you have working right while on bridging visa is all depends on the type and criteria of the visa that you was holding before your bridging visa granted.

Lets say you was holding visitor visa which didn't allow you to work in Australia , then you 're NOT allow to work even you have got the Bridging visa... It was something I was told when I got my bridging visa few years ago. I don't know if the rule has changes so you better ask the immigration.
This is not true when applying for a Partner Visa or a 189 Skilled Visa. A BVA for an 820/801 Visa application has NIL conditions, meaning the person has full work and study rights while on a BVA.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.