Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m on my 2nd WHV now and starting to save for the defacto visa. My current visa ends in November and I know I’m a long way off but how soon should I start looking for a lawyer and applying for the defacto? Should I wait until maybe like the end of September (give myself two months before my current visa ends)

Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I would be applying for defacto as soon as I was eligable, get the process started. Nothing prevents you from applying earlier rather then later - it's a long process and being on a BVA can make employment harder to come by.

If you are unsure about completing the application then a Registered Migration agent is the way to go, we can recommend a few here (I believe there is a sticky on the main forum page).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi

Yes, I agree - it's better to start earlier rather than later. Some of the evidence gathering can take a while, especially if you want to put together a strong application. If you find a registered migration agent/lawyer now, they should be able to provide you with a checklist to start collecting your documents.

Kind regards

Lisa Ira (LLB.BA.GDLP)
Principal Migration Consultant (MARN 1467616)
Proxy Migration

e: [email protected]
w: www.proxymigration.com.au

Disclaimer: This message is general in nature does not constitute migration or legal advice and should not be relied upon. To provide you with migration advice, we need to consult with you to obtain your full information and circumstances. If you wish to receive migration advice please email us to arrange an appointment.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
In addition to the sticky Registered Migration Agents, I would also include the above poster Lisa.

The key is they are a Registered Migration Agent and they display the MARN number. I can tell Lisa has been registered since 2014 from that number, but I recommend her also as she has done a few very good posts and has made some budget saving comments.

Getting the application under sooner will always be better, but make sure you read and understand (a bit) the Partner Migration Booklet on the IMMI website. Ask a few questions on this site to clear up a few things that don't make sense to you.

I would then have an initial consultation with a RMA that you feel you could work with. This will be from memory $200-$300 and they will then look at your case and give a "report" on if and how to proceed with a visa application. Often if you continue to use them to do all the application they include the initial consultation price in their full fee amount.

It is if you are confident and have a bit of understanding possible to do the application by yourselves or get it ready and get it reviewed by an RMA before submitting (not all offer this), there are also other means of limited RMA help for set fee.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.