Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My partner and I are beginning the process of applying for a partnership visa 820. I have read some articles and threads that have suggested applying in person, but I haven't been able to track down the exact location where we would do that. Is it the Department of Home Affairs, the Department of Immigration, etc? Does anyone know exactly where we would need to go? We are located in Melbourne, but travelling to another city is not out of the question if absolutely necessary.

Thanks everyone!

Lizzie

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Applying online is far easier and less costly anyway. Only way to do it now. Be wary of thread dates... things change often in immigration and something that applied 6 months ago may not be how it is today.

The partner migration booklet available on the Dept of Home Affairs website is also outdated. My guess would be that they are currently updating it but haven't published it yet. Best to use their website for the 820/801.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav...a-(subclasses-820-and-801)-document-checklist

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
You cannot apply in person. I think paper applications (sent by mail) are still possible after recent changes were overturned, but why bother when you can do it online?

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
I have a friend who came over from another country maybe 10 years ago. When he was ready to apply for a Partner Visa, he and his partner walked into an Immigration office with all their evidence in hand (they had an appointment), a CO copied all relevant documents and looked through them, talked to them for a few minutes, and they left that office with their partner visa. Can you imagine?!

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I have a friend who came over from another country maybe 10 years ago. When he was ready to apply for a Partner Visa, he and his partner walked into an Immigration office with all their evidence in hand (they had an appointment), a CO copied all relevant documents and looked through them, talked to them for a few minutes, and they left that office with their partner visa. Can you imagine?!
I remember those days. I have lodged quite a few applications in person. Soon it will all be handled by Artificial Intelligence.

Reactions: CollegeGirl

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Strangely enough even though the 2 of us were sitting in front of her, they still wanted a photograph as proof we had physically met???
That's perfectly logic from a public servant point of view...

Reactions: aussiesteve
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.