Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum members,
I am rattling my brains at the moment not having a travel visa to rely on for any urgent travel I may need :(

I am in b/w a rock and a hard place ATM, where in my PR 190's travel visa part expires 05 Nov 2018. My visa grant date for PR subclass 190 was 05 Nov 2013. I have only moved to Australia on 20th Jan 2018 on full time employment(I have also travelled overseas on vacation for 3 weeks in Oct 2018). and I need a visa to travel soon in March 2019. What are the options that I have to get a RRV.
I did my initial entry on 23 Aug 2014 and flew out of Aus on 15 Sep 2014 only to come back in 20 Jan 2018. So clearly I don't have the 2 years for a 5 year RRV.
So I want your kind help to figure out which RRV to apply for:
1. 155 with 5 years -- I doubt this would take a really long time as I read from the forum that having not met the 2 year residency req. I would goto the tail end of a long queue?
2. 155 for 1 year. Do I chance with this and could get it fairly quickly or is the wait time just the same as option 1. above.
3. 157 valid for 3 months? Costly (350$) option as of now. But is this pretty quick compared to other two options.

I really want to be able to get an RRV with 5 year travel(at least the 1 year travel one) as I have to spend 350$ ... But I am not able to decide if and how long it would take

Really appreciate your help with this.

Thx

·
Registered
46 Posts
You are likely to be eligible for 155 with an one year travel facility (given your employment ties).

Processing time for this visa can be quite long if you dont meet the 2 out of 5 years residency requirement.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Hi forum members,
I am rattling my brains at the moment not having a travel visa to rely on for any urgent travel I may need :(

I am in b/w a rock and a hard place ATM, where in my PR 190's travel visa part expires 05 Nov 2018. My visa grant date for PR subclass 190 was 05 Nov 2013. I have only moved to Australia on 20th Jan 2018 on full time employment(I have also travelled overseas on vacation for 3 weeks in Oct 2018). and I need a visa to travel soon in March 2019. What are the options that I have to get a RRV.
I did my initial entry on 23 Aug 2014 and flew out of Aus on 15 Sep 2014 only to come back in 20 Jan 2018. So clearly I don't have the 2 years for a 5 year RRV.
So I want your kind help to figure out which RRV to apply for:
1. 155 with 5 years -- I doubt this would take a really long time as I read from the forum that having not met the 2 year residency req. I would goto the tail end of a long queue?
2. 155 for 1 year. Do I chance with this and could get it fairly quickly or is the wait time just the same as option 1. above.
3. 157 valid for 3 months? Costly (350$) option as of now. But is this pretty quick compared to other two options.

I really want to be able to get an RRV with 5 year travel(at least the 1 year travel one) as I have to spend 350$ ... But I am not able to decide if and how long it would take

Really appreciate your help with this.

Thx
You don't apply for each of these individually - you apply for an RRV and the Department decides which, if any, you qualify for, so:

1. You are not eligible for this
2. This is what you will be assessed for initially - wait time can be long - up to 5 months for some applications
3. No - you will only be assessed for a 157 if you do not qualify for a 155

It's $375 now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't apply for each of these individually - you apply for an RRV and the Department decides which, if any, you qualify for, so:

1. You are not eligible for this
2. This is what you will be assessed for initially - wait time can be long - up to 5 months for some applications
3. No - you will only be assessed for a 157 if you do not qualify for a 155

It's $375 now.
Thank you Paul for the explanation!
I have a doubt if at all I want to travel on a urgent basis then I could I do that having applied for an RRV but I can only return back after the RRV is granted? Or does this reset my resident years for a citizenship when I travel without an RRV being granted?

I understand that applying for any other travel visa like visitor visa or BVB(not possible in my case) would overwrite my PR visa is that correct?

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you re-enter AUS on another visa you will lose your permanent resident status so don't do that. If you are stressing, why not apply for the RRV now you still have over 4 months and you could get it sooner. If it isn't issued in time and you need to travel, I believe (could be mistaken) that you can apply for a bridging visa whilst the RRV is being processed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If you re-enter AUS on another visa you will lose your permanent resident status so don't do that. If you are stressing, why not apply for the RRV now you still have over 4 months and you could get it sooner. If it isn't issued in time and you need to travel, I believe (could be mistaken) that you can apply for a bridging visa whilst the RRV is being processed.
Yes I was specifically thinking of this. Can I get a bvb for travel that would not remove my PR status while still allowing me to travel. I am sure I found this answered before on here just can't find it again.

Found the ever helpful paulhand's answer here: https://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/278265-rrv-bridging-visa-b-bvb.html

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Yes I was specifically thinking of this. Can I get a bvb for travel that would not remove my PR status while still allowing me to travel. I am sure I found this answered before on here just can't find it again.

Found the ever helpful paulhand's answer here: https://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/278265-rrv-bridging-visa-b-bvb.html
Yes you can, but this strategy has risks.

Your permanent residence status is not "removed' - but it does lapse if you go offshore without a holding a permanent visa. It is reinstated when/if you are granted a new permanent visa.

The BVB would allow you to return before your RRV was decided and for a short time afterwards if it is refused whilst you are offshore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes you can, but this strategy has risks.

Your permanent residence status is not "removed' - but it does lapse if you go offshore without a holding a permanent visa. It is reinstated when/if you are granted a new permanent visa.

The BVB would allow you to return before your RRV was decided and for a short time afterwards if it is refused whilst you are offshore.
Thank you again Paul. By the risks I take it is the resetting of the clock that counts residency towards citizenship?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Thank you again Paul. By the risks I take it is the resetting of the clock that counts residency towards citizenship?
... and, more importantly, risking a refusal whilst you are offshore. A refusal onshore does not risk your status. A refusal offshore does.

Reactions: chetu

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No way to apply for a BVA

Hi folks, an udpate.

Having applied for my RRV, I was just now trying to apply for a BVA and then a BVB but I don't see an option if I click New Application from my Immi Account.

Should I apply it using form 1005 and then email it?

Still need clarity on if my residency clock will be reset if I leave Aus on BVB before my RRV is granted, is this lawful or unlawful and return back on BVB or on a RRV? I am trying to avoid resetting the clock on my residency years that count towards the citizenship.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Hi folks, an udpate.

Having applied for my RRV, I was just now trying to apply for a BVA and then a BVB but I don't see an option if I click New Application from my Immi Account.

Should I apply it using form 1005 and then email it?

Still need clarity on if my residency clock will be reset if I leave Aus on BVB before my RRV is granted, is this lawful or unlawful and return back on BVB or on a RRV? I am trying to avoid resetting the clock on my residency years that count towards the citizenship.

Cheers
It would reset the PR part of of the citizenship clock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It would reset the PR part of of the citizenship clock.
Thanks Paul! So specifically that means the condition 2 below in bold would be reset and I would have to come back to Aus on an RRV and do another year as a PR holder before I am eligible to apply for a citizenship provided I meet the stay of 4 years on a valid visa in Aus condition.

We consider the amount of time you have lived in Australia in the last 4 years. In certain cases, we may exempt you from this requirement

Meet the general residence requirement
At the time you apply you must have been:

living in Australia on a valid visa for the past 4 years
a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen for the past 12 months
away from Australia for no more than 12 months in total in the past 4 years, including no more than 90 days in total in the past 12 months

from: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/become-a-citizen/permanent-resident#Eligibility

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.