Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there Australia forum -

I'm a first-time poster, but have been popping in for a while as I'm in the process of applying for the New Zealand Family Relationship visa to stay with my partner in Victoria (a belated thank you for all the helpful info on that on here)! I'm in the process of planning for the holidays and am finding myself SO confused about my travel restrictions. Please help!

My situation is this:

My s/o and I have been together several years. He's a kiwi and I'm American. In August of last year he moved to Victoria for a job while I finished grad school in the States. I moved here on a Work & Holiday (subclass 462) this June right after I finished school, and submitted my application for the NZ Family Relationship visa in late September. About a week later I got an email saying my application had been received and a second email saying I had been granted a bridging visa A.

So now we're approaching the holidays and I'm still waiting to hear about the NZ Family Relationship Visa. Which would be fine except I had been planning to leave the country twice in the coming months - once this month to visit my family in the States for Thanksgiving, and then after a few weeks back at work in Vic off to NZ to spend Christmas with my s/o's family. But wait - are my travel restrictions now that of the bridging visa A? Or my original Work & Holiday visa (which wouldn't expire for some time still if I hadn't been granted the bridging visa and allowed me to come and go as I please)?

I've emailed the NZ Family Relationship Visa Centre but it's been two weeks and they haven't responded. My flights are already booked for my first trip out of the country for the 20th of this month - do I need to be applying for a bridging visa B? And if I do, will I need to apply for a second one in order to leave again for Christmas? Should I expect any of this to be a problem?

In case I do need to apply, I've already downloaded the bridging visa B form and have it all filled out, but can't for the life of me figure out how much it costs! There's just a section under 'charges' that asks me to fill in how much I'll pay, but it doesn't say anywhere on the bridging visa page how much I'm meant to write in...

Any advice would be SO appreciated! I've been combing the Dept of Immigration website and can't seem to find a straight answer :mad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

Just in case anyone is curious, after 20 mins on hold first thing this morning I have confirmed that my bridging visa is in the background of my original substantive visa and won't take affect until the first visa expires. So my travel is not restricted until my original Work & Holiday visa expires next June. Good news for me! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.