Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner I have been together for years, he is Australian I am a US citizen. I have been to Australia twice one for a short time once for 9 months. He came to the US in August of 2017 and stayed for about a month we got engaged then. He is coming here in a few days for 3 weeks and we plan on getting married. We are then returning to Australia together at the end of June. My question is how long do we wait to apply for our Partner Visa and what is the exact Visa that we apply for once we are there? Any help would be much appreciated.

Lisa

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Skybluebrewer,

The 820/801 visa has a requirement of 12 months of a defacto relationship. If you're engaged you could also consider the prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) first and then move to the 820/801 partner visa?

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Kelly Lloyd MARN: 1386565
Direct: +61 2 9993 1046 Mobile: 0417 202 219

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Hi Skybluebrewer,

The 820/801 visa has a requirement of 12 months of a defacto relationship. If you're engaged you could also consider the prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) first and then move to the 820/801 partner visa?

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Kelly Lloyd MARN: 1386565
Direct: +61 2 9993 1046 Mobile: 0417 202 219
I think you will find Skybluebrewer is fully aware of the 12 month de facto relationship requirement, and that that does not apply if the relationship is registered on one of the states that are accepted by immi for such registration.

The OP on the other hand may not know what immi would accept as evidence of a de facto relationship for a Partner Visa.

I get the impression that the OP is planning on an onshore application, that excludes the PMV as their desired path - but it could still be the best path.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.