Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm from the UK but have been living and working in Australia for the past 3 and a half years on a sponsored 457 visa. I'm thinking of moving jobs and considering the best and cheapest visa option.

I recently got married to my Australian partner (been together for 5 years) and we live together in Melbourne. We have a child due in March.

Additionally my grandfather was from Australia, meaning that my mum has an Australian passport but has never lived here and isn't an Australian citizen.

I'm thinking my best option is a partner visa but have been a bit put off by the cost and time it takes.

Any help would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I'm from the UK but have been living and working in Australia for the past 3 and a half years on a sponsored 457 visa. I'm thinking of moving jobs and considering the best and cheapest visa option.

* I assume another 457 may be an option. If it were then cheap fee but restrictive as you now see.
No Medicare so costs here.

I recently got married to my Australian partner (been together for 5 years) and we live together in Melbourne. We have a child due in March.

* Child seems would get citizenship.

Additionally my grandfather was from Australia, meaning that my mum has an Australian passport but has never lived here and isn't an Australian citizen.

* No banana here.

I'm thinking my best option is a partner visa but have been a bit put off by the cost and time it takes.

You should go straight to 801 (PR) due 5 year relationship, you get Medicare from date of application, you get full work rights after 457 is cancelled, you are helping the Federal budget out by about $7,000.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
If the 457 is cancelled, so is the Bridging visa A that comes when the 820 application was lodged. If you lodged an 820, Medicare (which is immediately available) would cover the cost of a confinement.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
See pays to at end of all confirm with a RMA.

Westly for my info, do 457's expire or get cancelled after resignation/termination of current employer? just curious.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
my mum has an Australian passport but has never lived here and isn't an Australian citizen.
If she has an Australian passport then isnt she an Australian citizen?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
See pays to at end of all confirm with a RMA.

Westly for my info, do 457's expire or get cancelled after resignation/termination of current employer? just curious.
CANCELLED

For the 457 to cease to have effect, without the BIG C, it must expire or be replaced by another substantive visa.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.