Australia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am Aussie and my Italian boyfriend and I have decided to move to Australia. We met travelling in Oct 2013, he spent 2 months in Australia with me in Jan/Feb 2014, and I have been living with him in Milan since the start of May 2014 (so 10 months).

I believe that we would qualify for the Partner (de facto) visa, probably from the time he came to Australia 1 year ago. He also seems to have enough points to qualify for a skilled migrant visa (although it would be a bit of a pain to get all the required documents).

Either way, we plan to apply for the visa offshore (from Italy), and then he will quit his job here and make plans to move once the visa is approved.

Which visa is likely to be granted more quickly, and is "easier" to get? The guidelines suggest that the skilled visa has a 3 month processing time and the partner visa 5 months, but I'm not sure how accurate this is in reality!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Karen

·
Registered
666 Posts
When applying for a partner visa on a defacto basis...you must make sure you meet the 12 months defacto requirement. Have you read the partner visa booklet to see the categories of evidence that you must provide. I would be cautious about applying on defacto grounds just yet...by your own admission he came to visit you in Australia Jan/Feb and then you started living together in Italy in May. As far as DIBP are concerned,unless you can prove that your level of commitment to each other in Jan/Feb was to the level of husband/wife just without a marriage certificate,they are likely to consider this part of your relationship just dating which wouldn't count towards the 12 month defacto. There have been recent changes which means that the department don't consider you defacto until you live together and combine your lives fully.

Also it's a small thing but I wouldn't refer to him as your boyfriend - the defacto visa is not designed for boyfriend/girlfriend relationships....as I've said before,they expect you to be living and have combined your affairs to the extent that a married couple would.

Processing times for partner visas have increased as of late so I am not sure how accurate that 5 month processing time is. Hopefully someone can come along and give you some input about the Skilled migrant visa - have no experience in that department

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Valentine has covered what I was going to say :).

Applications for Italy are processed in Berlin and the current processing times are 10 to 14 months. Here is a link to the Berlin thread so you can see how long people are waiting: http://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/16467-berlin-embassy-processing-time.html

Personally if it was me I would go the skilled visa (I presume you are talking 189) because then he will go straight to PR and will be easier to get a job. With the partner visa he will be temporary first and then 2 years after application date is eligible for PR. Having PR always makes it easier to find a job.

Also skilled visa is about $1,000 less than a partner visa.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much guys for these helpful posts. Do you know if the Skilled Independent (189) visas for Italian citizens are also processed in Berlin?

As far as the 1 year rule... we made our decision to be committed from Feb last year, but due to me having to give 2 month's notice at work I was not able to move to Italy until May. But I agree, I'll have to be careful about throwing the word "boyfriend" around. I've just never liked the sound of the word "partner" ;)

The main problem with the Skilled Independent visa is that they require all sorts of documents which will be difficult to get our hands on (academic records, etc.) and expensive to get translated. He also needs to prove strong English (we need this for the points system), which is a bit of a pain. But then looking at the evidence needed for Partner visa, maybe the skilled visa is simpler after all!!

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
I believe the 189's are processed in Australia.

Do you have evidence showing that you lived together in Feb 2014?

Both visa's will require alot of evidence and documents.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
It doesn't matter when you decided to be committed, unfortunately. All that matters is when you began living together. For the partner visa you will have to prove living together for 12+ months, shared finances, etc. Most people submit a LOT of documentation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts