Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just discovered this site and hoping to get some useful information.

Short story. I'm Australian, my husband is American. We'd like to come to Australia for about 6-8 months. Basically my current contract finishes at the end of June 2018 (currently in Bulgaria). I'm planning to take a new contract (outside of Australia) that wouldn't start until Jan/Feb of 2019 (I'm a teacher so this depends on the school I find work at). Ideally we'd like to stay in Australia for those 6-8 months.

The plan would be hang out with family. Do some travelling (my parents have a camper we can borrow and I want to show my husband as much of the country as we can). Maybe I would do some work (supply teaching) but nothing permanent - just a few days if they cross my path to make a little extra cash.

Currently married just under 2 years (will be 2.5 when we come).

Originally I just thought we'd come in with him on a visitor visa subclass 600 and then apply for an extension. And then maybe another extension (can you do that?) But then I came across something that seemed to suggest that we could actually apply for a longer tourist visa (12 months).

Does anyone know (with either visa) if they'd insist on him having a ticket out of Australia at the end? We wouldn't want to buy one because we wouldn't know exactly when we'd be leaving or where we'd be going. Secondly, can anyone tell me, if we did change our minds and want to stay long term is it a problem applying to change the tourist visa to some kind of spouse visa?

I really don't want to go down the spouse visa route to begin with (because it seems like the application would take long than we want to stay in the country) but who knows, maybe the perfect job will cross my path while we're there and we'll change our plans. I haven't been in Australia long term for 20 years so I really have no idea, maybe I'll want to stay when I get back.

All advice appreciated! This stuff is confusing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Its prob not worth going for a 820 (7,000$) if you just want to stay 6-8 months. Better off doing the 3 months visit and moving along to somewhere else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. $7000. It's definitely not worth that! All the same I'd really rather not move along after 3 months. Hopefully we can get a longer tourist visa or an extension.

·
Registered
67 Posts
assuming you can get the first 3 month tourist visa then either extend it (if possible) or pop over to NZ or similar for the weekend then return for another 3 months

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that will be the plan. Hopefully without having to leave the country but I do have friends in Bali who've been asking for a visit so if we do need to leave then I don't think we'll suffer too much :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.