Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a few questions relating to a defacto visa -

I need to clarify the date at which is accepted by immi as our defacto date. I have supporting paperwork ( bill) just over 1 month past the actual date we moved in together. But all our other paperwork is after this date ( bank statements etc)

Does the defacto date start from when we have proof or from when we did move in together?

Also I would like to know who has to lodge the paperwork? We are currenlty in NZ so we can meet the 12 month requirement. I was hoping I can fly back and lodge in Australia while my partner stays in NZ.
Ive noticed that the wait time seems to be much shorter if you apply in Australia.
I just wanted to know who has to lodge the paperwork and does it have to be the country in which the they are currently living in? Or can I do it and he stay living in NZ ?? ( im going to guess no but wanted to ask anyway)

Thanks for your help, I couldnt seem to find another question like this.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Hi there,

First of all, DIAC strongly considers time spent living together, as this is what de fectao couples mostly do. So, from their point of view I think they will look mainly from the time you moved in together.

Secondly, onshore visas are not necessarily processed faster, and some places like Sydney have a 9, 10 or 12 month processing timeline. I'd say it would be quicker to lodge offshore. It's possible to lodge in any country, though you would need to let them know where you will be so that they can get in touch with you if an interview is needed and send correspondence.

I assume you are a NZ citizen? In this case you would have work rights and could find work while you wait for an onshore visa, so you could go in that direction if you really wanted. I'd suggest though not complication matters and lodging where you are since you are already together, and couples normally are when an application is lodged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
thanks for your reply. Im Australian and my BF is English. We are only living in NZ as his visa ran out and had another 5 months to meet the 12 month requirement. I dont need a visa to work in NZ and my bf has a working holiday visa which runs out in december. So we are just hoping the defacto visa is approved before this runs out cause then who knows we will be....

I couldnt really find a timeline of someone who lodged in NZ? do you know the general turnaround ?

thanks again for your help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.