Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm currently in Australia on my 1st year WHV (417 from Canada), I was only planning on staying 1 year because I have very severe allergies which would prevent me from doing the regional work. However, I'm enjoying it here and was wondering if there is a way to get an exemption from the regional work because of my disability so I can apply for a 2nd year WHV?

I've searched everywhere online and its mostly folks who've run out of time, or just don't want to do it and are trying to find a shady way to get out of it. I would love to be able to work on a farm but my Dr advised me not to.

Anyone know if thats even possible or if there are any options?

·
Registered
918 Posts
You don't necessarily have to work on a farm.

Construction, mining, fishing, pearling etc are all fields which count towards your specified regional work which don't involve farms.

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
Allergies is not a disability. Have you been to an allergist to find out what you are allergic to as what you are allergic to might not be on a farm or all farms. They also have really good perscription medicine to help with allergies too.

As said there is also other ways to get a 2nd year visa.

There are so many people with allergies these days I doubt they would give an exemption anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know there are other work options, but I can't do those either. I have been to an allergist. Many, many, many times. I am on meds and carry an epi pen. I don't just have a sneezy reaction, I have anaphylactic reactions to like, everything. I actually can't work in an office or anything either, I work from home. I'm a bubble person heh -_- I figured there wouldn't be any other option. Oh well!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yeah, I know there are other work options, but I can't do those either. I have been to an allergist. Many, many, many times. I am on meds and carry an epi pen. I don't just have a sneezy reaction, I have anaphylactic reactions to like, everything. I actually can't work in an office or anything either, I work from home. I'm a bubble person heh -_- I figured there wouldn't be any other option. Oh well!
When I was doing my regional work, there was a young guy who had Down's Syndrome and was confined to a wheel chair as he didn't have both legs, he was also doing his regional work.

If he didn't get an exemption, I highly doubt you will.

It might be worth exploring all kinds of accepted work and seeing if there is something you can do, the list is pretty extensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I was doing my regional work, there was a young guy who had Down's Syndrome and was confined to a wheel chair as he didn't have both legs, he was also doing his regional work.

If he didn't get an exemption, I highly doubt you will.

It might be worth exploring all kinds of accepted work and seeing if there is something you can do, the list is pretty extensive.
Thats good for him, what a trooper!

It's not just the work. Its also the short term regional living conditions, the lack of access to emergency care when I inevitably have an anaphylactic reaction, the transit to the regional location, whether the stress of it all would exacerbate everything etc. I brought it up with my Dr, and they advised me not to. I didn't think it would be possible to get an exemption. I'm not going to risk my life to stay another year.

·
Registered
918 Posts

It's not just the work. Its also the short term regional living conditions, the lack of access to emergency care when I inevitably have an anaphylactic reaction, the transit to the regional location, whether the stress of it all would exacerbate everything etc. I brought it up with my Dr, and they advised me not to. I didn't think it would be possible to get an exemption. I'm not going to risk my life to stay another year.
I completely understand, you know your situation best and as you say it's not worth risking your life for an extra year stay.

There are other options to stay or come back in the future depending on your skill level and what you would like to do etc (skilled migration, sponsored visas, student etc).

Also, New Zealand is beautiful! And you can apply for 12 or 23 months working holiday visa (without having to do any regional work).

·
Registered
1,960 Posts

So just to clarify you got from Canada to Australia just fine, yet the transit to a rural area will be too stressful?

You are aware the regional areas have hospitals as well? They also have emergency transfers available via plane or helicopter as well..

Margaret river WA is classed as regional, it has a hospital, normal solid accomodation and no more pollen count then the major city's... There is no requirement to live in the bush out of a swag.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.