Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm an Aussie, my girlfriend is a Brit and we've been in a long distance relationship for about three years. We're now looking to take steps to close the distance and eventually qualify for a partner visa, but to do that we first need to clock the 12 months living together.

My bright idea was to get her over on a 417 Working Holiday Visa for the maximum of 12 months. During this time we'd be living together and sharing living expenses, rent and collecting all the evidence you need to prove to the government we're a real couple haha.

Only hitch is that since she's straight out of uni she's a bit short on cash, she doesn't have the $5000 sufficient funds in her personal UK account to show to Australian immigration. I do though - is there some way I can give her my bank statement to show at the border with a letter saying I'm going to support her? I'm also worried this might freak out the agents and have them thinking she's going to overstay her visa.

Has anybody been down this road before and encountered this problem? It would be great to get some guidance on what we should do. Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to do that we first need to clock the 12 months living together.
No you don't
Are you sure? We're trying for the de facto part and for a de facto relationship to be considered legit I read that we need 12 months of evidence of living together. If you know another way I would love to know!

Regardless we still want to start with the WHV to see how things go. Do you have any experience with the funds requirement?

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
If you live in a state that allows you to register your relationship, that will waive the 12-month requirement. However you still need as many months as you can manage to build up good evidence of your relationship.

The easiest way around the funds is to transfer the money into her bank account.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Are you sure? We're trying for the de facto part and for a de facto relationship to be considered legit I read that we need 12 months of evidence of living together. If you know another way I would love to know!

Regardless we still want to start with the WHV to see how things go. Do you have any experience with the funds requirement?
The requirement is 12 months in a defacto relationship, not 12 months living together.

You need to be not living apart on a permanent basis. The 417 route is a smarter route, especially being English it probably won't come with a nfs as it prevents the second who application.

Make sure she declares the relationship with you as defacto on the application. Although this in itself could cause GTE issues..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.