Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I(U.S.) have been in a 4 year relationship with an Aussie. We just got married July 30th, and have been discussing moving back to Syndey for a few years. I finally applied for a 309 visa with my own money with her sponsoring, but she is now threatening my PR after every argument, no matter how minor. Am I essentially screwed out of my 7k Aud? I will essentially be financially crippled if I am stuck paying a 7k aud sink cost. Is there any recourse to a sponsor threatening my PR as a means of control? I wanted nothing more than to make this work and move to Australia with her, but I'm effectively being blackmailed with my PR application. Any information is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You won’t be eligible for a refund (few are), so really the funds are gone no matter what. So all that’s left to decide is if you want to stay with this person? If the relationship is ongoing then leave the visa in the system, if the relationship has broken down then you’re required to inform immigration.

So basically decide where the relationship stands, then deal with the visa accordingly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
For a start, do not come to Australia.

If she abandons you here, you will have no recourse and no resources at all, you will be entirely alone with no support. And let's face it, if she blackmails you already, she will do the same once in her country where divorce laws are so lax that she has every right to put you out of her house and leave you stranded.

My ex-wife did this, and I was sad to realize that even though she violated the terms of sponsorship (supporting the visa holder for 2 years etc) in effect no authority in Australia wanted to help me. And your own consulate won't be able to help you either. I had a child with her which is the only reason why I am staying, otherwise I would have left the country - it seems you don't have a child with her, so spare you the dreadful prospect of living alone with no support in such an horrendously overpriced city as Sydney.

Stay in your country and demand a couple therapy. If she refuses, call a lawyer and sue her for compensation, hopefully she would have to refund you not only the cost of your visa but also compensation for having to give up so many things to prepare expatriation in her country, not to mention the emotional abuse that her attitude is inflicting on you. This is what I should have done.

But this has nothing to do with immigration per se, so I doubt anyone in this forum would be able to help you further. You need a lawyer specialized in relationships and divorce, and in your own country. Probably they will ask for tangible proofs that she is in effect blackmailing you with the PR, like text messages for example that would say something like "Do as I say or I leave you with your PR", etc. They will not just take your word for it.

In any case: DO NOT COME TO AUSTRALIA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.