Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Community,

My partner and I haven't yet applied for our Australian partner visa, but will be doing so soon. He is from Europe and I am Australian.

We are planning on living in Australia for some years, then at some point living in Europe for a few years and then eventually coming back to Australia.

What I would like to know is if he obtains a permanent partner visa for Australia after the lengthy process, what happens to its validity after we go and live in Europe for a few years? Would we have to go through the whole process again to come back to Australia or would he have this visa permanently regardless of where we have lived and for how long?

Thanking you in advance,
Annie.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
How many is the "some" years you're planning to live in Australia? The simplest thing would be to just stay until he qualifies for citizenship. Current requirements are 4 years living in Australia with at least one as a permanent resident, though there was recently an attempt to make those requirements stricter (it failed).

"Permanent" residency is permanent because it allows him to live in Australia forever - however, the travel facility (the ability to travel in and out of Australia as he wishes) only lasts for 5 years after the PR is granted. After this time, he would need a return resident visa (RRV). The simplest way to qualify for one of those is to have lived in Australia for at least 2 out of those 5 years. If he has not, he might have difficulty getting an RRV and might be required to demonstrate significant ties to Australia.

Citizenship makes things a LOT less complicated as he can stop keeping track of how long he's been in and out of Australia and can just come and go as he wishes. Best of luck whatever you decide.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.