Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, me and my partner are in the first stages of trying to get our application put together (PMV 300) and I stumbled across something I'm a little confused about. On the homeaffairs.gov website it says:

'For the Australian Government to determine whether you are of good character, you might be asked to provide police certificates for each country you have lived in for 12 months or more, over the last 10 years (calculated immediately before the time the visa application is lodged), since turning 16 years of age.'

I have two questions about this. Firstly whether or not I qualify as living in Australia for over a year. I first entered Australia in 2016 on a working holiday visa 417 and stayed for nearly a year and since then travelled back at a separate time on a 3month tourist visa. In all I stayed for just over 14months on two separate trips over the course of 2 years. On both occasions I was living with my partner (the sponsor) but on neither single occasion did I stay for over 12 months. Secondly if this is the case and my time in Australia does count, do I need to get a police check from Australian Police, or is this only a requirement for foreign countries (i.e do they do an Aussie police check on me anyway).

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Umbreon, I think you will need to get the police clearance certificate as you've lived in Australia for a total of over 12 months during the last ten years. I don't think they judge it on 'amount of time in the country each trip', I think it's judged on the overall amount of time you've been in the country over the last ten years.

You'll need to apply via the Australian Federal Police for a National Police Check, which covers the whole country - as supposed to a police clearance certificate from an individual state, i.e. a police certificate for NSW/Queensland etc. Here's the link:

https://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/services/criminal-records/national-police-checks

Scroll down to the apply online link.

During the process, when it asks for 'Purpose Type', select 'Commonwealth Employment/Purpose' from the drop down box.

When it asks for 'Purpose of Check', select code 33 'Immigration/Citizenship-for the supply to the department of Immigration and Border Protection' from the drop down box.

Select 'Name Check Only' when it asks for type of check required.

Hope this helps. This is what my girlfriend (my sponsor) had to do, we were recently approved for an offshore partner visa submitted from the UK. I imagine it's the same certificate required for a PMV 300.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Umbreon, I think you will need to get the police clearance certificate as you've lived in Australia for a total of over 12 months during the last ten years. I don't think they judge it on 'amount of time in the country each trip', I think it's judged on the overall amount of time you've been in the country over the last ten years.

You'll need to apply via the Australian Federal Police for a National Police Check, which covers the whole country - as supposed to a police clearance certificate from an individual state, i.e. a police certificate for NSW/Queensland etc. Here's the link:

https://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/services/criminal-records/national-police-checks

Scroll down to the apply online link.

During the process, when it asks for 'Purpose Type', select 'Commonwealth Employment/Purpose' from the drop down box.

When it asks for 'Purpose of Check', select code 33 'Immigration/Citizenship-for the supply to the department of Immigration and Border Protection' from the drop down box.

Select 'Name Check Only' when it asks for type of check required.

Hope this helps. This is what my girlfriend (my sponsor) had to do, we were recently approved for an offshore partner visa submitted from the UK. I imagine it's the same certificate required for a PMV 300.
Thanks so much for the reply, really helpful! I'll leave actually applying for the check until I have everything else in order as I believe it has an expiry date but I'll save this comment.

Congratulations on your visa approval by the way!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.