Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have read through the DIBP website but cound not find any answers for my situation.

It would be very much appreciated if you could give me some advice on this.

My current conditions:
- I am on the tourist visa and in Australia now.
- I am going to apply for the permanent residency (PR) before the tourist visa expires.
- I am going to include my wife in the PR application.
- My wife is currently in my home country, Korea.

With the conditions stated above, I know when I apply for the PR, I will be given the bridging visa.

My question is:
#1. Will my wife be given the bridging visa too?
#2. If yes, can she come to Australia with the bridging visa?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
The answer is no. What visa are you applying for?

Reactions: Son

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just made a quick modification.

Basically I missed an important information that I am going to include my wife in the PR application.

It would be really appreciated if I could some advice on it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Bridging Visas are for people who are already in Australia on a visa of some type. They are bridging visas because they provide a "bridge" from one visa to a second one. If you aren't already in Australia on a visa of some type, you can't receive a bridging visa.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Thank you for your quick reply!

I am applying for subclass 189.
So my wife has to come to Australia to be given the bridging visa?
If your wife was holding a substantive visa when the sc. 189 was lodged and she is outside Australia, she may be able to apply for the BVA when she returns to Australia.

If she is in Australia at the time the sc. 189 is lodged, she will get a BVA automatically.

If your wife was not holding a substantive visa when the sc. 189 was lodged and she is outside Australia, she won't be able to get a BVA.

All this assuming she was included in the sc. 189 application.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your advice!

It is now very clear that she is not entitled to receive the bridging visa. I will have to think about a way she can come to Australia before I lodge the PR application.

Anyways, again, thank you all for your support!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After you are granted PR you can apply for spouse visa for your wife. It was like this for me back in 2011.
Hi thank you for your reply!

I have got one question.
Did you include your wife in your PR application back in 2011?

I am asking this because I was assuming that she would automatically receive the PR when I got granted it.

·
Registered
78 Posts

I have got one question.
Did you include your wife in your PR application back in 2011?

I am asking this because I was assuming that she would automatically receive the PR when I got granted it.
I was included in my husband's PR application back in 2011 and I was NOT granted PR at the same time as him. I had to apply for spouse visa and go through the process of my own application separately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was included in my husband's PR application back in 2011 and I was NOT granted PR at the same time as him. I had to apply for spouse visa and go through the process of my own application separately.

I am now so confused on why the immigration office, in the first place, lets us have a choice to include our partner in the PR application, when they do not actually grant it for him/her.

But thank you for sharing your experience.

So I now assume that when you apply for and include your partner in PR, and also:

- your partner is onshore with you -> your partner will be granted PR
- your partner is offshore not with you -> No PR for your partner

I need to confirm if this is correct, but this is a different matter from the original question. So I will look into the other forum threads similar to this case for the answer.

Thank you all for your advice!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.