Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Work Limitation for 2nd Year W&H Visa with Bridging Visa A granted but not active.

Hi there

I'm currently on my 2nd Year Working Holiday Visa (462) with Bridging Visa A granted (but not active) after applying for De Facto Visa (820) 4 months ago.

There is a 6 month limitation to work with one employer as a condition for the Working Holiday Visa (462)

My current employer wants to keep me with them indefinitely.

I have been working with them since mid May 2018 and it will be 6 months with them by mid November 2018.

They are aware of my application for De Facto Visa (820). They have requested for me to email them my Bridging Visa A grant notification which I did. They told me that that grant evidence, even though it is not active, would allow me to stay with them longer than 6 months.

I'm very worried though. I know the work conditions for my currently active Working Holiday Visa 462 and I understand the Bridging Visa A won't kick in until my current Working Holiday Visa 462 expires in February 2019.

I keep asking my managers and human resources and they all keep saying "You are fine. Don't worry about it. You can work indefinitely"

The truth is that I DO worry about it. I don't want to exceed any work limit condition, end up being an unlawful non-citizen and to be removed from the country. That would jeopardize the future with my Australian partner of 4 years. We have worked hard to be able to have a life together and we do not want to risk it.

I have tried calling Home Affairs but I can never get through. I guess they are really busy.

I thank you all for your replies and advice in advance. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
The work limitation applies to your current visa, not some other visa you might have held. It is not clear from what you posted when your 6 months expires.
Permission to work beyond 6 months can be applied for.
Here is the current policy:

Permission to work beyond 6 months

Overview
Requests for permission to work beyond 6 months that are based on an application for a subsequent visa with work rights should be sent to the office processing the subsequent visa application.

Condition 8547 delegates (refer on Bordernet to the current secretarial series of delegations) are able to give a visa holder permission to work for an employer beyond the prescribed 6 month period. Visa holders who would not be granted a work extension based on the guidelines below should be discouraged from making an extension request.

Extension requests by visa holders who have previously been refused an extension need be considered only if the applicant's circumstances have changed in a material way. As a matter of good client service, in the first instance repeat requestors should be advised that their request has previously been refused and that future requests will be considered only if their circumstances change. They should also be advised not to exceed the employment limitation, and that breaching that condition may result in the department considering cancelling their visa. In the first instance, this correspondence should be recorded in ICSE (as a note case).

The employment extension process is not intended to be a mechanism to circumvent the 6 month work limitation. If repeat requests for extension of work are lodged by an applicant, officers should carefully consider the applications in the context of the intention of the program. For example:

if a visa holder has already been granted an employment extension with an employer on the basis of exceptional circumstances, a further request on the same basis with the same employer should generally be considered to contravene the cultural intent of the program
if a visa holder has already been granted an employment extension with an employer on the basis of a further visa application, a further request with the same employer on the same basis should generally be considered to contravene the cultural intent of the program
if a visa holder lodges an employment extension request on the basis of a further visa application that is in the process of being refused or has clear grounds for refusal, the employment extension request should generally be refused as there is no longer a reasonable expectation that the visa holder will be granted a new visa that will allow them to keep working for the employer.
For guidance on processing an employment extension requests and correspondence templates, refer to the Employment Extension Process Map in TRIM: ADD2008/941655.

Officers are to have regard to the following policy when considering requests for permission to work beyond 6 months or handling enquiries from visa holders.

Requests by TZ-417 or US-462 holders that are based on an application for a subsequent visa with work rights should be sent to the office processing the subsequent visa application.

Requests by TZ-417 holders for permission to work beyond 6 months that are not based on an application for a subsequent visa with work rights should be forwarded to the Hobart Global Processing Centre (HGPC) for the attention of the Employment Extension Delegate:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.