Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I apply for this work permit instead of waiting for a 457? My occupation is on the SOL and I have a job waiting for me. I could find no information on a non-renewable work permit on any website.

"Americans with degrees in areas such as accounting or mine engineering, as well as other skilled workers, can obtain a nonrenewable permit for as much as a three-year stay. After that, they can apply for the renewable 457, which grants up to a four-year stay."

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I have never heard of a non renewable work permit and everyone bar Australian and New Zealand citizens needs some form of a visa to enter Australia.

So where have you seen the phrase you quoted Dave?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I haven't seen it in any news articles and the very first place anything will likely come up is on Immi.
They have been looking at various visas over the past couple of years and Creating a Simpler Framework for Temporary and Permanent Entry to Australia is the latest on discussions etc.
If anything is to happen they may make a version of a visa to have it called a permit but it will always be a visa, just a different name I'd expect and in general, typical of a Labor government they always seem to want to change things, sometimes so they can claim they have done something.
As for that article you linked, I see nothing about a permit in it and it is based on some older data too I suspect as all is not as rosy everywhere in Australia as the article would seem to portray.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.