Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriends working holiday visa is up in September, and he intends to go on a student visa, but I’ve read that you can’t apply for your student visa until 3 months before the course starts, or 4 months before it your overseas (courses start in feb 2019) which means there’s a 5 month gap between September and February, does that mean he will need to leave the country for roughly 2 months before he can apply for a student visa & then get a bridging visa to come back into the country??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hes from scotland, i should have added that part!
so his first language is english

I just can't seem to find online anywhere what happens between that gap of it ending and reapplying for a new visa

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
hes from scotland, i should have added that part!
so his first language is english

I just can't seem to find online anywhere what happens between that gap of it ending and reapplying for a new visa
He may have to find some other course, if he doesn't want to leave the country. A bridging visas is only granted if he lodges a valid application for another visa onshore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hes currently working full time in construction, so to start a course now he would only be limited to 20 hours a week work & he wont be able to pay his way on 20 hours a week. So ideally he would want to work heaps leading up to his student visa and save as much money as he can.

if he doesn't start a course until feb next year at tafe, and can only apply for the student visa 3 months out of the course starting, would you say his best option would be to go back to scotland for 2 months and then apply for it while hes there to then be able to return to australia on a bridging visa while his student visa is being processed?

(at least that means i get a holiday to scotland! :D)

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
would you say his best option would be to go back to scotland for 2 months and then apply for it while hes there to then be able to return to australia on a bridging visa while his student visa is being processed?
You can not get a Bridging Visa if you apply from there (offshore).

Does your partner want to study or just stay longer in Australia to be with you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if he had it his way, he would just keep working, but as its his 2nd working holiday visa, he will now need to become a student to stay here when it expires in September.
We haven't been together long enough to apply for a partnership visa and we also don't have thousands of dollars to pay for it. so the next best option is to study.

he just doesn't know what he has to do between September & December. i read online you can apply for a student visa offshore 4 months before your course starts & 3 months before if you are in Australia?

so basically hes going to have to find himself a course to start in or before September to be able to stay here? But i just don't think that's possible as tafe has already started for this year & new courses don't begin until Feb next year.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Study is not a next best option in most cases.

My understanding is he will be required to show funds for his study period and not rely on the 40 hrs per fortnight work rights to survive.

Your options seem very limited, you would be best to consult a RMA to find out what options and strategies exist for you. The Student Visas have a Genuine Temporary Entry requirement, that may be harder coming off 2 Work Holiday Visas.

Also if a Partner Visa is in the future you would be foolish not to declare your relationship in the Student Visa application (you can not claim to be single now then later claim to the same department you have a long relationship) - this will also be harder to prove the GTE requirement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh really!

we are going to go speak to someone to get some more info and weigh up his options, just thought id ask first to see what i can find out :)

See i didn't know any of this, being born and raised in Australia and also a dual citizen for the UK and here, i haven't had any need to know any of this or the knowledge to have our relationship (1.5 years long) listed on his visa.

Thank you for your help! I will definitely be going to speak to someone ASAP to see what his options are!!

if anyone else has any advice, or knowledge on this matter please feel free to reply to me!

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hes currently working full time in construction, so to start a course now he would only be limited to 20 hours a week work & he wont be able to pay his way on 20 hours a week. So ideally he would want to work heaps leading up to his student visa and save as much money as he can.

if he doesn't start a course until feb next year at tafe, and can only apply for the student visa 3 months out of the course starting, would you say his best option would be to go back to scotland for 2 months and then apply for it while hes there to then be able to return to australia on a bridging visa while his student visa is being processed?

(at least that means i get a holiday to scotland! :D)
Have you taken into consideration the requirement that he must have sufficient funds to support himself during his course without relying on being able to work?

Then there are the Genuine Temporary Entry requirements. Can be tricky when in a relationship with an Australian, which must be declared.

Maybe a consultation with a registered migration agent to review all the available options might be an idea ?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Both other posters to your thread are Registered Migration Agents and both as well as a few others are highly recommended by many forum members.

I am not an agent but can see several problems with your plan or at very least potential issues you face.

It would be in your best interest to consult with a RMA to work out a plan/s, I do not know what the initial consultation fee is for the two that have replied to you but it will be around +/- $250. This will be money very well spent in my honest opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.