Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, or should I say "g'day"? I've had the privilege of spending most of January in Melbourne, and have been offered to rent a new friend's house in Tasmania. My US-based employer, my native country where I'm currently living, is willing to let me work remote once I move. What Visa-related options exist for this scenario? The work/travel option implies working at local Australian jobs. I am a software developer of 11 years who would like to keep the US job if possible. Basically, I'll be earning wages from the States and spending that money in Tassie.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Brent

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hello everyone, or should I say "g'day"? I've had the privilege of spending most of January in Melbourne, and have been offered to rent a new friend's house in Tasmania. My US-based employer, my native country where I'm currently living, is willing to let me work remote once I move. What Visa-related options exist for this scenario? The work/travel option implies working at local Australian jobs. I am a software developer of 11 years who would like to keep the US job if possible. Basically, I'll be earning wages from the States and spending that money in Tassie.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Brent
Looks like you planning to row a similar boat to Billybob Brent so most of what I've said to him applies - http://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/3649-study-abroad-then-telecommute-work-visa.html , though what visa you're now on, your intent of how long you plan to do this and if needing a visa extension and the need to show means of support could come into it and I suppose you could put it as being on paid leave.

That of course will change if you want to work at local jobs here earning local money for then you'll really need a visa that allows you to work legally here and you either need an employer sponsor or have to apply independently, a much longer process - check from Workers - Visas & Immigration

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great information on working remote for a US company when living in Australia

Looks like you planning to row a similar boat to Billybob Brent so most of what I've said to him applies, though what visa you're now on, your intent of how long you plan to do this and if needing a visa extension and the need to show means of support could come into it and I suppose you could put it as being on paid leave.
Hello, Wanderer, thanks for the replay. I am not on any visa now. I did visit Melbourne in January and had a three-week travel visa to cover me for that time. I simply purchased this in the airport hours before boarding the plane.

There is a Feldenkrais training in Box Hill running from May of this year until September of 2013, eight weeks per year. I would like to be a contractor for an US-based company, earning US dollars into an American account that I transfer internationally into an Australian back account (which I've already created) to pay for rent and living expenses. I will retain a permanent US mailing address as well. I will read through the post for Billybob; thanks for pointing out.

That of course will change if you want to work at local jobs here earning local money for then you'll really need a visa that allows you to work legally here and you either need an employer sponsor or have to apply independently, a much longer process
Yes, I've read through these options. My hope is to remain employed with my current employer located in the US while living in Australia. Would this kind of option even apply if both the employer and employee are permanent residents overseas?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Is your employement with the US firm involving you being involved in running a training course here in Australia? and if so that's different to what I envisaged when you have stated
is willing to let me work remote once I move.
and not what BillyB is planning to do, and yes, mis-read that you may have still been here.

You'll have a much higher "employment" profile and if the course is arranged by your employer I'd expect that they'll need to make employer sponsor or other business visa arrangements, there being some that do involve people coming for shorter term business related activities.

Edit: A four year scenario will definitely mean that you ought to be looking at one of the visas I mentioned in earlier post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.