Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I need some help with how to calculate my working hours limit while on my 573 student visa. I have some shift booked in but im not sure if im getting it within limit of 20 hrs per week.

Does orientation week consider as "course in session"? Which day we do we start counting the hours?
Below is my current shift. Appreciate if someone can let me know if im within limit.

My uni orientation start 19th feb, while week 1 starts 26th feb.

So i have some work shifts booked in on 24th feb (6.5hrs), 25th feb (8 hrs), 26 feb (4hrs), 28th feb (4 hrs), 1st mar (4hrs), 4th mar (6.5hrs), 9th mar (8hrs), 10th mar (4hrs), 11th mar (8hrs).

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
All I know for sure it is not 20 hours per week - that changed years ago.

My guess is orientation is a long bow to call a course in session - it certainly is not study.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so am i within limit? its 40hrs per fortnight but im taking it as 20 hrs per week anyway.. i jus dont know how to count how many hrs im working per week according to my schedule.. which day do i start counting?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
24 feb is saturday
25 feb is sunday

do i start counting every saturday? 24 feb to 10march is 15 days

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Ok then between 24 Feb @ 0001 hrs and 9 March at 2359 hrs you have 41 hours of work scheduled. This would be more then the 40 hours you may have in any 2 week period.

The period start day doesn't matter as long as you don't exceed 40 within 14 days.

Just think of it this way, if immigration turned up at your house on any given day and asked for evidence of how many hours you worked in the pervious 14 days and the answer is more then 40, you are in the shit.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If you're finding basic math a struggle then I wish you luck in your further studies.

If your work gives you regular hours on regular days then you will find it much easier as you can just do 20 per week as long as they always fall on the same days then you will always be within your limits. If you are working ad hoc shifts then you will need to track your hours and turn down shifts if it's going to exceed it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey someone just show me this!

A fortnight is a period of 14 days commencing on any Monday and ending on the second following Sunday.

An example of how 40 hours a fortnight is calculated: After their course has commenced, a student visa holder works the following numbers of hours over a four week period:

week one - 15 hours work
week two - 25 hours work
week three - 25 hours work
week four - 10 hours work.
In the fortnight comprising weeks one and two above (40 hours worked in that 14 day period) or in the fortnight comprising weeks three and four above (35 hours worked in that 14 day period), the work condition is not breached. However, the student visa holder has breached their work condition in the fortnight comprising weeks two and three above (50 hours worked in that 14 day period). Students found to have breached their work conditions might be subject to cancellation of their visa.

does it mean it count from mondays?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I do recall another factor in this and think was in counting months or some such thing? - I know there is a trap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.