Plastic totes for checked baggage

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Travel in Australia > Travel questions

Travel questions This area of the Australia Forum is for discussions about travelling to Australia. Talk about where to visit and which hotels or hostels to stay in. Feel free to join the talk about transportation options, visa requirements and weather conditions.

Plastic totes for checked baggage


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 332
Users Flag! From usa

142 likes received
44 likes given
Plastic totes for checked baggage

Anyone have any advice for using a plastic tote (like a Rubbermaid storage bin) for checked baggage on United or other airlines?
Recommendations about size of tote? Brand? Whether to duct tape it shut or not? Durability of the plastic during luggage handling?

Thanks


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2015, 03:20 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 1,928
Users Flag! From australia

611 likes received
133 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMama View Post
Anyone have any advice for using a plastic tote (like a Rubbermaid storage bin) for checked baggage on United or other airlines?
Recommendations about size of tote? Brand? Whether to duct tape it shut or not? Durability of the plastic during luggage handling?

Thanks
Hi Indy Mama
Over the years we have used a number of different items in our checked baggage, even those $2 red white and blue polypropylene bags.
They have all survived with minimal damage. Seeing those bins are flexible i would suggest you tape the lid closed to prevent it coming off in transit.
As additional security we usually put the contents in a large plastic garbage bag, so should the outer packaging give way, the contents dont spill out.

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2015, 04:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 332
Users Flag! From usa

142 likes received
44 likes given
Awesome, thanks AussieSteve!


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Tigerali's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 261
Users Flag! From india

16 likes received
22 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
Hi Indy Mama
Over the years we have used a number of different items in our checked baggage, even those $2 red white and blue polypropylene bags.
They have all survived with minimal damage. Seeing those bins are flexible i would suggest you tape the lid closed to prevent it coming off in transit.
As additional security we usually put the contents in a large plastic garbage bag, so should the outer packaging give way, the contents dont spill out.
Any views about buble wrapping the crockery, looking for options to pack safely, i couldnt get much ..stuck with this one..but no idea if it would be fine or not with immigration checks.can they doubt it?.
Coz in that case if i hd to unwrap them, that would be lot work for me..

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have Promises to keep,
And Miles to go before I sleep..

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 1,928
Users Flag! From australia

611 likes received
133 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerali View Post

Any views about buble wrapping the crockery, looking for options to pack safely, i couldnt get much ..stuck with this one..but no idea if it would be fine or not with immigration checks.can they doubt it?.
Coz in that case if i hd to unwrap them, that would be lot work for me..
It depends on how your a shipping it, by air or sea. Unless it is sentimental or extremely valuable it is usually not cost effective to ship it by airfreight or as accompanied baggage. Customs and Quarantine usually xray luggage looking for suspect items, however they will not hesitate to make you unpack and unwrap everything if they are at all suspicious, so i have at times had the contents of all our suitcases spread over their examination benches.If you are shipping via sea freight ( container) then that is different, they are examined by xray and personal if need be at the port.
Either way your main concern is to protect it from the shock of a sudden drop. Bubble wrap is good but bulky, no problem for sea freight but a problem when space is at a premium.
I am not sure where you are from but dont forget electronic devices can be problematic, in Australia the electrical supply is 240 volts 50 hertz so check your appliances are compatible.

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Last edited by aussiesteve; 05-07-2015 at 09:46 PM.

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2015, 04:15 AM
Tigerali's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 261
Users Flag! From india

16 likes received
22 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
It depends on how your a shipping it, by air or sea. Unless it is sentimental or extremely valuable it is usually not cost effective to ship it by airfreight or as accompanied baggage. Customs and Quarantine usually xray luggage looking for suspect items, however they will not hesitate to make you unpack and unwrap everything if they are at all suspicious, so i have at times had the contents of all our suitcases spread over their examination benches.If you are shipping via sea freight ( container) then that is different, they are examined by xray and personal if need be at the port.
Either way your main concern is to protect it from the shock of a sudden drop. Bubble wrap is good but bulky, no problem for sea freight but a problem when space is at a premium.
I am not sure where you are from but dont forget electronic devices can be problematic, in Australia the electrical supply is 240 volts 50 hertz so check your appliances are compatible.

Yes Aussiesteve, that is the main concern m worrying about , ig they made me unwrap, it would be hard for me to pack all ovr again standing at airport

M flying from india to melbourne . Bulk is not issue, i can take 40 kg around.. N my total weight is 30 kg including the crockery .

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have Promises to keep,
And Miles to go before I sleep..

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2015, 05:18 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 1,928
Users Flag! From australia

611 likes received
133 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerali View Post

Yes Aussiesteve, that is the main concern m worrying about , ig they made me unwrap, it would be hard for me to pack all ovr again standing at airport

M flying from india to melbourne . Bulk is not issue, i can take 40 kg around.. N my total weight is 30 kg including the crockery .
Well unfortunately if they decide they wish to inspect anything then you will have to unpack it at the airport. I have had it happen to me and despite them being required to assist no help was provided.
Good Luck!

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baggage allowance priyav21 Travel questions 2 09-13-2012 10:20 AM
unaccompanied baggage for first time migrants lord_shades Visas and immigration 0 03-06-2012 02:52 PM
All Those Plastic Bottles!!! - Restricted Wanderer Issues and current events 9 02-20-2011 07:51 AM
Baggage limit for migrants trisshhh Visas and immigration 4 10-19-2010 03:55 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:02 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com