Moving from Canada to Australia

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Moving from Canada to Australia

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Users Flag! From canada

Moving from Canada to Australia

Hello, I'm not sure where to start, so I'll just start typing. I have met a wonderful man online, and wish to move to Australia to be with him. I live in Canada. I'm 31 years old, and currently taking the Early Childhood Education program in college. I will graduate in June of 2012, then plan to move there. Where do I start? What do I need? There is so much information out there, I can't sort through it all. I don't plan to return to Canada to live. Do I need a visa? Do I have to get married to go there? Does anyone know of companies that I can ship all my belongings with? I really don't know where to start. Any advice or great sites would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2011, 04:12 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,145
Users Flag! From australia

150 likes received
169 likes given
Hi there,

Yes you do need a visa to come to Australia. Forget about shipping your belongings for now, you need to think about what visa path you will go down.

If you want to remain in Australia on the basis of your relationship with an Australian, there is the partner visa. The partner visa is for married and non-married (de facto) partners.

This is important:
- If you are not married to your partner, you must meet the 12 months living requirement. This means that for the entire 12 months immediately prior to applying for the visa, you must have been living together in a de facto relationship.

A partner visa can be applied for onshore (in Australia) or offshore.

If you don't want to get married right now, you will have to meet the 12 month requirement, this could be in Australia or anywhere else. Because of your age you are no longer eligible for a Working Holiday Visa, which means you'd have to find another way to be together (eg: on a tourist visa, which would have no work rights). You could consider your partner spending a year in Canada.

If you are thinking of marriage, there is a Prospective Marriage Visa, which must be applied for offshore only. However, for this visa you need to have met your partner in person at least once. The visa, once granted, gives you 9 months to enter Australia and get married, after which you must apply for a partner visa.

If you get married (in Australia or Cananda), you can apply for the partner visa without having lived 12 months together, but just remember that you need to be able to prove a genuine relationship, with the sort of evidence described on page 41 of the booklet below. You can get married on a tourist visa, though it would be not using the visa for the right purpose, which is why a prospective marriage visa is more suited.

If you want to apply for a partner visa within Australia, whatever visa you come on must not have a "no further stay" condition, which is not something you can control, it comes on many tourist visas but it's not mandatory.

Have a look at your options by reading the partner migration booklet:

Partner visa onshore:
Partner visa offshore:
Prospective marriage visa:

Tourist visas:

Last edited by SarahM; 09-18-2011 at 04:33 AM.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Ava Ava is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4
Please update your flag here .

We just moved from Canada to Australia...immigration were very strict on our relationship rules to qualify for a partner visa (I am Australian, my husband is Canadian), so make sure you do qualify! You may want to consider using a consultant...
We used Prudent to ship our stuff.

Closed Thread

advice, canada, immigrating, married, moving companies, visa

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving from Canada to Australia pancetta1212 Visas and immigration 10 10-06-2011 05:23 AM
Moving from Canada Maggie-May24 New member introductions 2 07-26-2011 01:45 AM
Moving from Canada Canadian Jobs and work 3 05-27-2011 12:46 AM
I'm Ben. I am 18 and planning on moving to Australia from Canada bkeefe8 New member introductions 0 01-03-2010 10:12 PM
Moving from Canada to Australia thethrillisgone Visas and immigration 5 05-26-2009 08:57 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.