Claimed "single" on entry Australia - Will my de-facto visa be invalid??

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Claimed "single" on entry Australia - Will my de-facto visa be invalid??


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Users Flag! From usa

Claimed "single" on entry Australia - Will my de-facto visa be invalid??

Hi everyone,

I've looked through alot of these forums but think this is a fresh topic, so I'm hoping someone can help me!

I'm from the US and my partner is Australian - we're applying for the Defacto visa and submitting our app a week from Friday - October 8. (My visa expires the 9th). Our travel / living situation has been quite complicated but we've spent a great deal of the last couple months getting all the necessary paperwork, documents, statements, etc and are pretty confident that we have sufficient proof.

My concern is - we were speaking on the phone to a migration agent (we're doing the app ourselves, but were trying to set up a meeting to get everything checked) - and the first question that she asked was if I had put "de facto" as my relationship status for my application on my working holiday visa (which i'm on now)

At the time I put "single" because we weren't married or actually living together - My b/f had gone back to Australia - And the agent said the C.O. could claim we haven't officially been in a relationship this entire time because of that status, which is too late to change now.

Has anyone else had this issue? Do you think it will be enough to make my app invalid??

Any advice is greatly appreciated!


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 895
Users Flag! From australia

88 likes received
1 likes given
Well, an agent has more knowledge of these things than I do. However, if you explained in a statement exactly what you said i.e. that you considered at the time you weren't living together or married so you assumed that meant you were single, then it might not be such a big issue with DIAC.

Also, if you can show other evidence to suggest you were comitted to each other prior to the application, then this might enforce the point that you simply misunderstood the definition when you ticked the box.

__________________

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2011, 01:54 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Users Flag! From usa

Thanks for your quick reply aussiegirl! I thought about mentioning it in the application, but then didn't know if I should leave it out so as not to draw attention to it ? But I think it would be worse if i didn't say anything and they brought it up, so maybe I will.

I think have quite alot of proof that we were living together before that, and that we are living together now, so hopefully they wouldn't rule out our relationship over that detail.

I noticed you're waiting on a partner visa too - Can i ask, are you using an agent or doing it yourself?


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2011, 03:34 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 895
Users Flag! From australia

88 likes received
1 likes given
I found this forum over 2 and a half years ago and poured over it daily before we applied in May this year. We did it alone, since I was pretty confident that although we had some explaining to do (my husband was legally married when we met and started our relationship, and when we had our wedding ceremony), we tried to explain in our statements the background behind it all and how strongly we are comitted to each other. The statements from my family we also really supportive and well-written, so that helped a great deal too.

We were asked for the medicals less than a week after submission, which I think happens once they have assessed the relationship requirement. It's been over 4 months now, and we're still waiting. Medicals were assessed back in August, and the CO said then they hoped to grant the visa in another 4 to 5 months, which would make it Decemberish. I'm going silghtly insane with all the waiting, but I hope it comes soon.

__________________

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Users Flag! From usa

Yeah, I'm really grateful to have found this forum, lots of great tips for people like us who had no idea how much or how little to include - I don't think i could have put this application together without it. There's still alot up to one's own interpretation, i guess, but there doesn't seem to be one right or wrong way.. It seems the C.O.s all have a different preferred method..Anyway, I think the statements will definitely help alot as our situation is quite complicated too..

Your 4 month waiting period doesn't actually seem unusual.. when we were asking questions we were told it could take up to 9 at the moment!
Yours seems positive though - best of luck to you


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 22
Users Flag! From australia

1 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthann View Post
Hi everyone,

I've looked through alot of these forums but think this is a fresh topic, so I'm hoping someone can help me!

I'm from the US and my partner is Australian - we're applying for the Defacto visa and submitting our app a week from Friday - October 8. (My visa expires the 9th). Our travel / living situation has been quite complicated but we've spent a great deal of the last couple months getting all the necessary paperwork, documents, statements, etc and are pretty confident that we have sufficient proof.

My concern is - we were speaking on the phone to a migration agent (we're doing the app ourselves, but were trying to set up a meeting to get everything checked) - and the first question that she asked was if I had put "de facto" as my relationship status for my application on my working holiday visa (which i'm on now)

At the time I put "single" because we weren't married or actually living together - My b/f had gone back to Australia - And the agent said the C.O. could claim we haven't officially been in a relationship this entire time because of that status, which is too late to change now.

Has anyone else had this issue? Do you think it will be enough to make my app invalid??

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
hi there,
im wondering did you mention your situation? because i have the same issue. thanks


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 73
Please update your flag here .

3 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry11 View Post
hi there,
im wondering did you mention your situation? because i have the same issue. thanks
If you haven't been living together at the time of the application, you weren't in a Defacto relationship (as per definition of immigration anyway).
The problem is the 12 month living requirement - how long ago did you apply for a working holiday visa? If it is less than 12 months ago, are you sure you meet the 12 month living requirement? They are very strict about that from my experience.

if you have been living together when you applied, just write a short cover letter and explain to them that you thought you had to put "single" as long as you are not married.


  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 22
Users Flag! From australia

1 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa84 View Post
If you haven't been living together at the time of the application, you weren't in a Defacto relationship (as per definition of immigration anyway).
The problem is the 12 month living requirement - how long ago did you apply for a working holiday visa? If it is less than 12 months ago, are you sure you meet the 12 month living requirement? They are very strict about that from my experience.

if you have been living together when you applied, just write a short cover letter and explain to them that you thought you had to put "single" as long as you are not married.
hi,
thanks for reply, i have been living together already over 12 months since last year. the thing is i filled the status on my previous visa "never married or de facto" only a few months ago. because i was thinking i have to register de facto relationship before tick that box . also i never thought to apply de facto application until i realise i need to make that application to stay in australia permanently with my bf.

by the time i apply i still living together and have solid evidences covering 12 months living together and etc.
now I'm afraid they will reject my application because previous visa status. =(


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 73
Please update your flag here .

3 likes received
I don't think it should be a problem if you have enough evidence to support your application. Just explain in a cover letter that you did not know what DeFacto meant and ticked the wrong box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry11 View Post
hi,
thanks for reply, i have been living together already over 12 months since last year. the thing is i filled the status on my previous visa "never married or de facto" only a few months ago. because i was thinking i have to register de facto relationship before tick that box . also i never thought to apply de facto application until i realise i need to make that application to stay in australia permanently with my bf.

by the time i apply i still living together and have solid evidences covering 12 months living together and etc.
now I'm afraid they will reject my application because previous visa status. =(


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is "Date of Application"? - Offshore De Facto tashla Visas and immigration 3 09-24-2011 09:33 PM
Problem with "Usually resident at australia" requirement sonnytanoto Visas and immigration 6 08-04-2011 12:23 PM
Urgent query:RSMS-857 Visa for "Restaurant Manager" but Assessed in "Hotel Manager" VIJ Visas and immigration 5 06-02-2010 12:23 AM
De Facto "mandatory" waiting period jenifermarie Visas and immigration 2 02-06-2010 12:57 AM
Australia "smiliest" continet mike General chit-chat and news 0 05-18-2009 06:45 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com