Travel to Australia while waiting for Offshore Partner Visa

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Turboadam

Travel to Australia while waiting for Offshore Partner Visa


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9
Users Flag! From usa

1 likes received
Travel to Australia while waiting for Offshore Partner Visa

I have lodged my application for my partner visa offshore, in the US. My husband, who is an Australian, our daughter and I would like to move to Australia asap. Our daughter is Australian by descent and so I'm the only one requiring a visa. According to the timelines we have seen it doesn't look like my visa will be issued before February (it was lodged at the end of August).
What we have seen on other posts, is that people have gone over on a tourist visa while they wait for their offshore visa to be granted. They contact their CO to inform them that they will be in Australia. Just before the visa is granted, they are contacted by their CO and they leave the country for a few days while it is granted.

I was hoping to hear from people as to whether this plan is generally accepted or if these were fluke situations. Also, would like to know if people have had a negative result from attempting this. Are the COs receptive to doing this sort of thing? My guess is that this would mostly pertain to people that have lodged in the US for offshore, but any advice is most welcome. Thanks for the help!


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,145
Users Flag! From australia

150 likes received
169 likes given
Hi,

Until someone shares their experience (many have done this successfully, it's not just a fluke), check out this sticky for information about the technicalities:
http://www.australiaforum.com/visas-...ing-visas.html

I haven't heard of many times when the tourist visa was refused, but it could happen. Then again you won't really be putting your partner visa application at risk if a tourist visa is refused.


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 159
Users Flag! From australia

10 likes received
1 likes given
Yep, my wife (Thai) here on 6 month TV while waiting for 309 Partner visa.

You won't have 1/2 the hurdles to jump thru as we did being from a high risk country.

just do it, there is no drama, your CO won't care, just tell them where and when.

Many people are so worried about doing this, but it is really no issue at all.

NOTE: if you are from a high risk country ie. not electronic visa lodgement, you must satisfy all the criteria for the 676 TV - reason to return home, sufficient funds for duration of stay, a letter of invitation is helpfull etc etc

Bangkok actually have policy on this very subject now - being 3 months T.V max, during processing of partner visa.

SarahM likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9
Users Flag! From usa

1 likes received
It sounds like there is minimal risk as long as you do the right thing and notify your CO. We can't go until February anyway, so hopefully I will have my partner visa and won't need to worry about it. Thanks for the advice.


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 15
Users Flag! From australia

4 likes received
My fiancee (Canadian) called the Ottowa HC today and they said you are allowed to travel to spend time with your partner during the process, however they ask that you DO NOT spend the entire time over there.

Ie, if the application takes 6 months, you can probably safely spend 3 months or so overseas while it's being processed.

But yes, you will have to return to your country, (or maybe just be offshore from Aus) in order to receive the Visa.

__________________

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2011, 01:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 159
Users Flag! From australia

10 likes received
1 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
......But yes, you will have to return to your country, (or maybe just be offshore from Aus) in order to receive the Visa.
You needn't return to your own country, but you MUST be out of Australia at the time of decision on your visa application.

The department will notify you (provided you are contactable) and instruct you to leave the country and advise them where your nearest Australian embassy will be, who you will communicate with once the decision has been made and if successfull, to organise your new visa.


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9
Users Flag! From usa

1 likes received
I have seen some other posts that talk about New Zealand getting stricter about people going there in order to finish the processing of their residency visas which were lodged offshore. People have been referring to it as a "back door to Australia".

Can anyone shed some light on this?


  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 24
Users Flag! From usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcwalk View Post
I have lodged my application for my partner visa offshore, in the US. My husband, who is an Australian, our daughter and I would like to move to Australia asap. Our daughter is Australian by descent and so I'm the only one requiring a visa. According to the timelines we have seen it doesn't look like my visa will be issued before February (it was lodged at the end of August).
What we have seen on other posts, is that people have gone over on a tourist visa while they wait for their offshore visa to be granted. They contact their CO to inform them that they will be in Australia. Just before the visa is granted, they are contacted by their CO and they leave the country for a few days while it is granted.

I was hoping to hear from people as to whether this plan is generally accepted or if these were fluke situations. Also, would like to know if people have had a negative result from attempting this. Are the COs receptive to doing this sort of thing? My guess is that this would mostly pertain to people that have lodged in the US for offshore, but any advice is most welcome. Thanks for the help!
Hi there, its very common for people to get a TV during the wait time, we're doing it here in a couple of weeks, in our situation I'm the Australian, we have 3 kids, also citizens by descent, and then there's my husband and my step son, the Americans, we submitted our application back at the end of June but our FBI check for whatever reason took 3 months, so we've only just supplied the last of the documents. We're expecting another baby, and its a high risk pregnancy so the sooner I travel the better, otherwise I'm going to be stuck here. What we're doing is getting the TV, and my husband and step son will fly to NZ to have their Visa validated, its not a big deal, notify your CO, NZ doesn't care, its all funds for their economy, their only issue is if you purchase a one way ticket to NZ, otherwise its all just tourism $ for them. Just keep in mind you can't work while you're there, so it may pose a financial strain unless your Australian spouse is the one working then you'd be fine. The only other risk is that its refused but in your situation its not likely at all that it would be. Having life on hold is hard, I know. Good luck


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2011, 03:17 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9
Users Flag! From usa

1 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat11 View Post
What we're doing is getting the TV, and my husband and step son will fly to NZ to have their Visa validated, its not a big deal, notify your CO, NZ doesn't care, its all funds for their economy, their only issue is if you purchase a one way ticket to NZ, otherwise its all just tourism $ for them.
Thanks so much for the response. I'm just curious about the one way ticket to NZ. In what situation would you have a one way ticket? I'm assuming the NZ customs agents/immigration will want to make sure that you are leaving. Are you saying that if you were to have only a one way ticket, for whatever reason, that would be a red flag to them that there is something off?

Best of luck with the pregnancy!


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel while waiting for partner visa Trina Visas and immigration 8 07-12-2011 12:54 PM
Offshore (Fiji) partner visa - baby due while waiting Dangermouse Visas and immigration 4 06-26-2011 11:13 PM
Travelling to Australia on ETA while waiting for Partner Visa Brydstar80 Visas and immigration 29 12-01-2010 02:58 AM
travel while waiting for visa? kathydenis Visas and immigration 3 09-13-2010 05:11 PM
Travel to Australia while the partner visa is processing billuk76 Visas and immigration 1 06-04-2010 01:59 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:53 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com