Advice needed: Partner Visa but couldn't live together?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree11Likes

Advice needed: Partner Visa but couldn't live together?

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2015, 01:24 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5
Users Flag! From germany

7 likes given
Advice needed: Partner Visa but couldn't live together?

Hello and thank you for reading this!

My partner, from the UK, and I, originally from Germany but now living in the UK, are preparing to emigrate to Australia.
He, an English teacher for secondary schools, is applying for a skilled visa (everything has been filled out and done, his medical and police check were sent already), so we are just waiting for everything to get back.

Now, the original plan was for me to get a Work and Travel visa and as soon as we can prove that we have lived together in Australia for 12 months that I can apply for a partner visa. I am not very keen on the Work and Travel, because I would only be able to work with one employer for max 6 months.
Then I read that for a Partner Visa it is not necessary to have lived together when having "exceptional circumstances for living apart". What means exceptional?
Our situation:
Just before we got together he got a new job in Eastbourne as a teacher and signed the contract, so he had to move there. At that time I was working and living in the outer skirts of London (now I have a new job just outside London), so we travelled every weekend to see each other. I was looking for jobs in Eastbourne, but couldn't find one (either I wasn't qualified - usually engineers - or they didn't pay enough to actually save money for Australia)
So I stayed up in London and he in Eastbourne. I am still looking for jobs there, but my job now is paying very well and much more for the jobs I could find in Eastbourne.
Also, he didn't want to quit his job there so soon after he started, because that would look quite bad on his CV and with knowing that he'll apply for jobs in OZ soon we just decided that it is best for him just to stay in Eastbourne.
We even looked into moving in together somewhere in between Eastbourne and London and then commute to work, but the county of Surrey unfortunately is one of the most expensive here in England

We have holidays together, the same friends (I live with his best mate), pictures and so on.
Do you think this counts as exceptional circumstance?

If not, is there an other way except me getting there on a Work and Holiday Visa first?

Thank you in advance and have an awesome day!!

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,220
Users Flag! From canada

1528 likes received
148 likes given
For a de facto visa, you need to have started living together at least 12 months prior to your application, and then any time after that living apart can be for exceptional circumstances (e.g. studying abroad, working in another city, etc.). But you do need to have lived together. You can waive this by getting married, or else apply for a Prospective Marriage Visa instead (need to marry and apply for a partner visa within 9 months of the PMV being granted).

186 visa - Temporary Residence Transition stream
Granted Dec 2013

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2015, 11:07 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 11
Users Flag! From brazil

4 likes received
1 likes given
I always thought one'd need an aussie (or kiwi) partner to get a de facto or PMV.

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2015, 12:44 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12
Users Flag! From australia

1 likes received
1 likes given

I'm pretty sure that if you both live in any state other than W.A, you can register to have your relationship recognized at the department of Birth, Death and Marriages for your said state. Once you have this, it waives the 12 months living together requirement.
You will obviously still have to provide them all the other evidence that your relationship is 'genuine and continuing' - See Partner migration booklet on immi website.

Hope this helps!

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2015, 01:20 AM
GBP GBP is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,366
Users Flag! From australia

466 likes received
60 likes given
Working Holiday Visa is still the better option for you. At least you can be living together for significant amount of time and consider registering your relationship with BDM. It is also helpful for you to collect as much supporting evidence as possible.

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2015, 01:30 AM
GadoGadoGal's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: ACT, California & Colombia
Posts: 283
Users Flag! From usa

100 likes received
178 likes given
Partner Visas, whether de facto or married, onshore or offshore, require the Sponsor to be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen. See here and here, under both 'Features' and 'Requirements'. Is this the case for either of you?

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2015, 01:38 AM
Engaus's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,078
Users Flag! From australia

500 likes received
117 likes given
If the OP's partner is going over on skilled migration as a secondary teacher, this occupation is on the SOL list, so chances are he will have PR. Although teachers arnt in demand so I wish they would take that occupation off the SOL list lol!

Assuming he will have PR, then I feel that coming over on a WHV would be your best way forward. What you have described is not exceptional circumstances. These generally include your partner being in the military and being stationed somewhere. Not wanting to quit your jobs is not an exceptional circumstance unfortunately.

You can go over, register your relationship as soon as you arrive (assuming your moving to a state that enables it), and at the end of the 6 months living together apply for a partner visa. This would give you a BVA that allows you to work without any conditions (you can work for an employer for longer than 6 months).

CollegeGirl and GadoGadoGal like this.
Visa: 820/801 Partner (Defacto) from WHV
Nationality: British
Applied: Online, Onshore (Melbourne)
Application Date: 5th February 2014
Police Checks: 5th February 2014
Medicals: 5th February 2014
GRANT DATE: 4th June 2014

Last edited by Engaus; 04-14-2015 at 02:10 AM.

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2015, 02:23 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 68
Users Flag! From australia

22 likes received
1 likes given
I also recommend the working holiday VISA. It gives you a chance to live together for 12 months and build up your evidence.

If you live in a state in Australia that allows you to register your relationship then you waive the 12 month living together requirement. From memory NSW allows this. But that is only 1 part of it. You still need to provide evidence that you are in a genuine committed relationship - The Partner VISA booklet will explain the things you need to provide.

I know from our experience that VIC does not allow this. So avoid living in VIC if waiving the 12 month requirement is something important to you.

I wish you the best of luck!


Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Last edited by Aventador; 04-14-2015 at 02:26 AM.

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2015, 02:38 AM
GBP GBP is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,366
Users Flag! From australia

466 likes received
60 likes given
On another note, given the difficult situation in the local job market currently, I think you need not too worry about only be able to work for 6 months with one employer under a WHV.

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2015, 03:37 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 68
Users Flag! From australia

22 likes received
1 likes given
I disagree. My partner and I met while they were in Australia on a working holiday VISA and they had no issue finding work in Melbourne. My partner has 2 friends that have recently arrived in Australia from Denmark also on working holiday VISAs, and they have had no issues getting work in NSW and QLD. On top of that I have personally just arrived home after living in Denmark with my partner for 12 months and had no issue finding work myself. Admittedly I am an Australian, but there you go!

Maybe Australians just love Danish people? Maybe having Princess Mary has some perks. Who knows.

Jokes aside, my partner and his 2 mates speak, write and read fluent English, like most Scandinavians. So perhaps that helped with obtaining a job? If the OP speaks/reads/writes English well enough I'm sure you will be fine.


Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partner 309 visa advice needed! mikeym88 Visas and immigration 7 09-25-2014 05:21 PM
Advice needed regarding 802/820 partner visa lildevil872 Visas and immigration 13 02-22-2014 01:10 AM
Applying for 820 Partner Visa, advice needed please nix Visas and immigration 9 07-31-2013 06:36 AM
Partner Visa - Advice Needed! MandS Visas and immigration 2 11-19-2011 07:49 AM
Partner Visa - personal circumstances question - advice needed pls weekenddreamerz Visas and immigration 1 01-26-2011 11:50 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.