Maxiumum Overseas Travelling While on Partner Visa (Subclass 820)?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By aussiegirl
  • 2 Post By Offshore Migration

Maxiumum Overseas Travelling While on Partner Visa (Subclass 820)?

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6
Please update your flag here .

Maxiumum Overseas Travelling While on Partner Visa (Subclass 820)?

Hi, my wife needs to go overseas for family matters but we're unsure how long she might need to be out of Australia.

1 year into the 2 year Subclass 820 of the Partner Visa, do we need to inform IMMI of the travel and is there a maximum length she is allowed to be outside Oz? It would be a nightmare if she was away 6 weeks and there was a 5 week limit on travel.

All the information I found relates to travel while awaiting a decision on the first stage but we're past that. Thanks for you help!


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 895
Users Flag! From australia

88 likes received
1 likes given
Your CO should have given you some information about this when the 820 was granted.

But, here is what it says in the partner booklet:

The partner category visa that you are granted will have a multiple re-entry facility, which
means that you can leave, and return to, Australia as many times as you wish within a
specified period.
• A Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) allows you to travel for 9 months from date of visa grant.
A temporary Partner visa (subclasses 309 and 820) allows you to travel until a decision is made on your permanent Partner visa.
• A permanent Partner visa (subclasses 100 and 801) allows you to travel for up to
5 years from date of grant.

So, it looks there is no maximum time allowed, or any kind of limit. But, if she is going to be out of Australia past the time she is up for 2nd stage grant, then I would contact DIAC and let them know so that they can contact her and give her informaton about getting PR,

GadoGadoGal and mar2016 like this.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 17
Users Flag! From australia

3 likes received
1 likes given
Do you intend to travel with her? There is no limit to the time she wants to remain outside Australia but it may give cause for questions in relation to your marriage/relationship when they are about to make the decision in relation to her 801 PR visa. You will need to justify and explain the absence. If when wanted to apply to become a citizen the same issues could apply. If circumstances have changed including change of address you are obliged to notify DIAC. I would contact your case officer just to be on the safe side. Remember your application for a 801 visa is still pending. You need to meet those requirements also.

GadoGadoGal and mar2016 like this.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to apply for partner/marriage visa overseas. Dreamweaver Visas and immigration 3 09-04-2011 06:38 AM
Permanent Partner Visa 801 granted if overseas? Cloudy Visas and immigration 2 02-08-2011 11:37 PM
Wife on Subclass 309 travelling overseas Aussie82 Visas and immigration 1 12-20-2010 05:07 AM
Partner Visa 820 and 801 & Living Overseas Question gingerboy Visas and immigration 2 11-17-2010 02:51 AM
Visa process for overseas Employer sponsored workers (subclass 121) Willys Visas and immigration 1 07-22-2010 11:40 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.