relationship breakdown/ switching from one visa to another

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

relationship breakdown/ switching from one visa to another

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

relationship breakdown/ switching from one visa to another

Hi everyone, Ive posted on this before about my visa timeline; Im a uk citizen recently (very recently) moved to Australia on a subclass 309 (Temporary) defacto partner visa. I have a couple of questions I would love advice on before turning to more official advice.

Unfortunately due to the stresses of moving, of trying to find a job and flat and the Christmas period it seems the relationship I thought was able to withstand such a big move and lifestyle change has broken down, not entirely, but pretty much.

Ive already settled into the Australian way of life and love it here, I have a job and flat (granted its only a lease).

As the publications of defacto partner visa restrictions and information are a bit unclear about relationship breakdowns stating that PR may be granted if there is a child or the relationship broke down due to domestic abuse (both of these cases do not apply) and that ive heard from users on here as well as other forums that PR has been granted in certain cases if these conditions do not apply, Im needing some advice or insight. I dont particularly want to email my immigration agent and inform her of a 'possible breakdown' in my relationship.

So my question is: is there any possibility of switching visas or applying for another visa to remain in the country? For example, an employer sponsored visa? or a family visa? (my aunt and uncle live in Victoria, both Aus citizens and have been for more than 20 years)

Any information or advice you have I would be very grateful for.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gunnedah
Posts: 146
Users Flag! From uk

16 likes received
6 likes given
Hi Samhat,

Sorry to hear of your relationship breakdown. It can be very stressful as you have found.

If you are still thinking of switching visa (Which you absolutely can do) have a look at the wizard to see what options are available to you Australian Visa Wizard - Visas & Immigration

I hope you find a suitable visa so you can continue to enjoy Australia.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2014, 01:01 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
Users Flag! From australia

1 likes received
Hi Samhat, I am in a similar situation, and would like to know how you got on?

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2014, 01:04 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
Users Flag! From australia

1 likes received
I Have only just started working for my company a month ago, and hope they can sponsor me.

I also have a sister who lives here, and is a resident, a family sponsored visa could be an option too ?

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching from Student Visa to Partner Visa Luigi Visas and immigration 10 10-02-2013 09:41 PM
Switching from 417 to 457 Martinhepe Visas and immigration 1 11-05-2011 11:20 AM
Relationship Breakdown kjrr Visas and immigration 8 10-02-2011 01:19 AM
Switching Employment - 457 Visa visaconfused Visas and immigration 1 12-15-2010 11:09 PM
Please Explain Work Experience as number breakdown stretchnz Visas and immigration 2 05-15-2009 04:31 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.