can i get a visa?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

can i get a visa?

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Users Flag! From usa

can i get a visa?

Hi there,

I am an American and my partner is Irish. I have been to Oz already on a working holiday visa and my partner has also. He has done his 3 months farmwork and has a second year visa which he has not yet used. We are both trying to go back to Oz but I am finding it difficult to find a visa that would allow me to work/live in Oz (he has his 2nd year that he could use).

This is our plan:

Go back to Oz together (me on a tourist visa and him on his second year visa and see if he could get sponsored (he is a qualified plasterer which is on the skilled migrant list). If so, we would apply for a Defacto visa (me attached to his visa). We have been together a year.

Does anyone know if a foreigner is allowed to attach another foreigner to their visa if sponsored by an employer (go defacto) ?

Some other info about me: I also have a degree in business management...i'm not sure if that would allow me to get a skilled migrant visa? Doesn't appear so.

Any advice would be much appreciated!


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gunnedah
Posts: 146
Users Flag! From uk

16 likes received
6 likes given
Firstly are you aware a second WHV commences immediately after the first finishes? It lasts 1 year from that date so effectively 2 years after entering Australia on the first WHV you need a new visa or to leave. From your post it appears you are both offshore.

Secondly I suggest you look at the visa wizard on the immigration website to see if either of you are able to apply for a skilled migrant visa. If for example you are, you can list your partner as a secondary applicant. Vice Versa.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.