Student Visa/partner Visa/will leave the Uni/ would like to start an apprenticeship

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Student Visa/partner Visa/will leave the Uni/ would like to start an apprenticeship

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2015, 05:40 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1
Users Flag! From germany

Student Visa/partner Visa/will leave the Uni/ would like to start an apprenticeship

Hi All,

I have an urgent question in terms of changing my Visa ....

The situation is the following:
- I have currently the Student Visa
- I applied last week for the DeFacto Partner Visa
- I will stop my Uni career before the next semester will start in 2 weeks
- I would like to start an apprenticeship (fulltime)

What are the right steps in the right order? Do I have to cancel my Student Visa at DIAC? What is the way to get the Bridging Visa with the work permission?

I am happy to read your recommendations...


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2015, 06:42 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 137
Users Flag! From uk

11 likes received
8 likes given
Not sure about 1-3 but to get an apprenticeship you need to be either a citizen or on a PR visa. Your salary on an apprenticeship is subsidised by the government and your employer is given tax incentives to take you on, you cant be on a temporary visa to get one.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2015, 07:01 AM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,213
Users Flag! From australia

3688 likes received
1175 likes given
If you cancel your student visa you will lose your BVA that comes with the 820 application. You will then have to apply for a BVE which comes with no work rights or travel rights.

You can apply for work rights but you may or may not get them it is up to DIBP. When you have a BVE with no work rights you can't work until it is fixed.

I recommend to stay on your student visa and study until it either expires or you get the 820.

Closed Thread

apprenticeship, bridging visa a, de facto partner, student visa australia

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partner on working holiday visa has to leave Oz Before we can apply for partner visa mascwendy Visas and immigration 7 10-07-2014 07:49 PM
Lenght of a student visa for a year at uni Celine Education 0 02-22-2014 03:36 PM
Planning on going to uni in Aus while partner visa is processing?? brisbert Visas and immigration 5 08-29-2013 05:36 AM
can i start an apprenticeship as a mechanic while i am on bridging visa to 485(TR)? xxorg Jobs and work 3 03-04-2011 01:59 PM
Student visa refused-when to leave the country? Scarlett Visas and immigration 1 10-13-2010 12:52 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.