Does the actual Marriage Ceremony affect Spouse Visa Award? - Page 2

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Does the actual Marriage Ceremony affect Spouse Visa Award? - Page 2


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2012, 02:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 530
Users Flag! From australia

68 likes received
Hi Dan

Have you ever lived together or do you share finances? Marriage does not guarantee a visa. Even though you don't have to prove 12months of a defacto relationship for spouse visa you still have to have alot of proof that you are in a committed relationship and you have to cover commitment financially, physically, emotionally and socially. The spouse visa requires alot of proof and because some people have seen this as an easy way to get a visa the spouse visa is heavily scrutinized. If you want to apply onshore for a spouse visa I would wait until you have lived together for at least a couple of months.

Otherwise the prospective marriage visa may be best for you.

__________________
Whatnext: Australian Sponsor
Husband Brazilian

  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Users Flag! From usa

than you theskyisblue - so if i wanted for example to be in oz by end of 2012, we would set a ceremony date for that time frame, knowing we can change it for a bit later if need be after pmv is granted...


  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 177
Please update your flag here .

47 likes received
hi nycsparrow,

Yes thats correct. We'd originally put May as our wedding date in our application (this became our "entry by" date), but then on arrival we ended up pushing back the wedding date until later in the year to give us more time to prepare for the day.
So yes, I would probably put the ceremony date for later in the year if thats when you're planning to arrive. If you put it too soon, you'd have to be prepared to jump on a plane quick smart to meet the "entry by" date requirement!


Quote:
Originally Posted by nycsparow View Post
than you theskyisblue - so if i wanted for example to be in oz by end of 2012, we would set a ceremony date for that time frame, knowing we can change it for a bit later if need be after pmv is granted...


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 382
Users Flag! From australia

42 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskyisblue
Hi, the information given by IMkddj is not exactly correct.

You have 9 months from PMV grant to get married AND apply for spouse visa. You do not have to apply for the partner visa 2-3 weeks prior to PMV expiring. You just have to apply before expiry - meaning you can in fact apply for the spouse visa the day before expiry. My partner & I lodged our spouse visa 4 days before PMV expiry.

The date Medicals & police certificates are submitted have no correlation to when the PMV expires. PMV expiry is only correlated to PMV grant & nothing else.

Also nycsparow - yes, the wedding date will be used as the date that you must enter Australia by. You can change your wedding date after PMV is approved, but you cannot change the "entry by" date.

Cheers
theskyisblue,
Sorry but that's what the OZ embassy in Sydney told me when I asked them. I've read some posts in this forum that they submitted their application the day before their visa expiration. But there's always a standard time. For example, they tell us that the processing time of the partner visa is 9-12 months. But could be shorter or longer, like other applicants had experienced or experiencing.
My posts are based on my experience, on what the immigration told me, and from other applicants experience.

Best regards,
IMkddj

__________________
Cheers,
IMkddj

  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 177
Please update your flag here .

47 likes received
No worries IMkddj :-)
The embassy might have recommended you submit 2-3 weeks beforehand, but there is absolutely nothing in the rules regarding that (otherwise thats saying the true length of the PMV is only 8.5months....!). The PMV grant letter & all the official information on the DIAC website is pretty clear that you have a full 9 months to get marry & submit the application.
Cheers


Quote:
Originally Posted by IMkddj View Post
theskyisblue,
Sorry but that's what the OZ embassy in Sydney told me when I asked them. I've read some posts in this forum that they submitted their application the day before their visa expiration. But there's always a standard time. For example, they tell us that the processing time of the partner visa is 9-12 months. But could be shorter or longer, like other applicants had experienced or experiencing.
My posts are based on my experience, on what the immigration told me, and from other applicants experience.

Best regards,
IMkddj


Last edited by theskyisblue; 04-23-2012 at 10:09 PM.

  #16 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 82
Users Flag! From australia

6 likes received
11 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskyisblue View Post
Hi, the information given by IMkddj is not exactly correct.

You have 9 months from PMV grant to get married AND apply for spouse visa. You do not have to apply for the partner visa 2-3 weeks prior to PMV expiring. You just have to apply before expiry - meaning you can in fact apply for the spouse visa the day before expiry. My partner & I lodged our spouse visa 4 days before PMV expiry.

The date Medicals & police certificates are submitted have no correlation to when the PMV expires. PMV expiry is only correlated to PMV grant & nothing else.

Also nycsparow - yes, the wedding date will be used as the date that you must enter Australia by. You can change your wedding date after PMV is approved, but you cannot change the "entry by" date.

Cheers
The skyis blue
Thanks for the info that was more on target to the actual question! I did not know that the wedding date was actually used to set the entry date and appreciate you filling that in.
Wish you luck "sparrow"

__________________
Australian Sponsor
American Husband

All my suggestions and ideas and reflections are the result of my own experience and are offered up as my own personal opinions.

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Users Flag! From usa

thank you again theskyisblue and many thanks for the well wishes go tham - i have another question re: no impediment to marriage certificate. As i am a US citizen - will this be required by the aussie govt before we are able to get married in OZ and do i need to include this with my pmv application? does my fiance need to supply one of these from OZ to also be included in our application? the booklet doesnt straight out say we must have one of these so not sure what to do...


  #18 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 82
Users Flag! From australia

6 likes received
11 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycsparow View Post
thank you again theskyisblue and many thanks for the well wishes go tham - i have another question re: no impediment to marriage certificate. As i am a US citizen - will this be required by the aussie govt before we are able to get married in OZ and do i need to include this with my pmv application? does my fiance need to supply one of these from OZ to also be included in our application? the booklet doesnt straight out say we must have one of these so not sure what to do...

Hi "sparrow".
I am sure your aussie partner will need one, and it makes sense that it may be asked of you, although I am less sure of that aspect for the US. My son's fiance was required to produce one ( she is from a high risk country)
I don't remember if the NOIM was mentioned but you will also need to submit a Notice of Intent to Marry in Australia. You can find a marriage celebrant to help you or you can submit it to a state registry office. One of you can submit it ( but understand it has to be finalized by the other party prior to the marriage being performed.
You will need to submit it, pay the fees associated with the marriage and get a letter, on letterhead, stating that the fee has been paid and a date set. You can always change the date later as needs change.
The Freedom to marry certificate goes back five years and is usually needed to accompany the application.
I hope this helps you

__________________
Australian Sponsor
American Husband

All my suggestions and ideas and reflections are the result of my own experience and are offered up as my own personal opinions.

Last edited by go tham; 04-25-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change from Prospective Marriage to Defacto Spouse Visa? steph80 Visas and immigration 5 03-18-2012 05:12 AM
Quick question -> dd/mm/yy, is the actual day required for Visa paperwork? SarahM Visas and immigration 14 02-11-2011 02:12 PM
Fiancee not changing name - affect spouse visa? bdub83 Visas and immigration 1 08-22-2010 11:07 PM
Spouse or Prospective Marriage visa? evernow1 Visas and immigration 8 06-24-2010 09:19 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:15 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com