Marry using tourist visa after PMV submission

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree4Likes

Marry using tourist visa after PMV submission


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2012, 05:56 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 37
Users Flag! From papuanewguinea

6 likes received
2 likes given
Marry using tourist visa after PMV submission

Hi everyone,

I am so blessed to be directed to this forum coz some of my questions have silently been answered from reading all the posts.

I am from Papua New Guinea (PNG) and recently got engaged to my fiance who is an Australian after a 7 month dedicated relationship..He has been to PNG,met my family and friends and I did the same this year when he proposed ..

We are already having plans for our wedding this December 30th 2012 in Australia,have already organised the wedding celebrant,venue, etc..Right now we believe that the PMV subclass 300 is the best option,so we are currently in the process of filling necessary information and collecting documents for submission mid next month..

We have read all the information,booklet,checklist and are happy to submit.....However,my question now is while the PMV is still under processing (likely to take 12 to 14 months as told ),,can we proceed with the marriage this December using a tourist visa and then wait for the PMV for approval?

Please beautiful people if you have similar experience or know any information,would be highly appreciated...thanks much ...


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 177
Please update your flag here .

47 likes received
Hi Dorcas,
The name of the Prospective Marriage Visa tells you the answer to your questions: ie it is a prospective marriage visa, a future marriage.The main condition of the PMV is that you do not get married before visa approval & before entry to Australia on PMV.

That means that if you get married while in Australia on a tourist visa you are no longer eligible for the PMV. You would need to request the CO to change your application to a Spouse Visa (which is up to their discretion -- they may say no, and tell you to submit the visa application again entirely, and also pay the $2K fee again, as well as submit further stronger evidence since you are spouses & therefore should have evidence of shared life together). You would still have to leave the country before your tourist visa has expired, as since you are from a high risk country you will almost certainly have a "no further stay" condition on your tourist visa which means you are not eligible for a bridging visa.

bma likes this.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2012, 06:58 AM
Zamaussie's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NSW
Posts: 373
Users Flag! From zambia

72 likes received
108 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to Zamaussie
Take the PMV route i think is the right and best way....All the best.

bma likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 37
Users Flag! From papuanewguinea

6 likes received
2 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskyisblue View Post
Hi Dorcas,
The name of the Prospective Marriage Visa tells you the answer to your questions: ie it is a prospective marriage visa, a future marriage.The main condition of the PMV is that you do not get married before visa approval & before entry to Australia on PMV.

That means that if you get married while in Australia on a tourist visa you are no longer eligible for the PMV. You would need to request the CO to change your application to a Spouse Visa (which is up to their discretion -- they may say no, and tell you to submit the visa application again entirely, and also pay the $2K fee again, as well as submit further stronger evidence since you are spouses & therefore should have evidence of shared life together). You would still have to leave the country before your tourist visa has expired, as since you are from a high risk country you will almost certainly have a "no further stay" condition on your tourist visa which means you are not eligible for a bridging visa.

Dear Skyisbluegirl,

thanks, so instead of applying for the PMV ,can I apply for the Prospective spouse visa instead ? I have come across these two terms which is kind of confusing (the Prospective spouse visa and the Prospective marriage visa marriage visa),are they similar or different? thanks


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 37
Users Flag! From papuanewguinea

6 likes received
2 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamaussie View Post
Take the PMV route i think is the right and best way....All the best.
thanks Zamaussie...mmm,but 12 to 14 months is quite a wait,,do you know of any other way i might bypass that could help us to proceed with our wedding plans for this December ? Like i read in some of the posts to go straight to the registry office and sign the marriage docs to legalise the marriage and then go straight to apply for the partner visa,and then proceed with the marriage??

thanks much


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,249
Users Flag! From philippines

55 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorcas View Post
thanks Zamaussie...mmm,but 12 to 14 months is quite a wait,,do you know of any other way i might bypass that could help us to proceed with our wedding plans for this December ? Like i read in some of the posts to go straight to the registry office and sign the marriage docs to legalise the marriage and then go straight to apply for the partner visa,and then proceed with the marriage??

thanks much
Hi Dorcas, my fiancee and I has been together for more than a year (but we already knew each other for more than 2) before she migrated in Australia but we still chose to go via PMV route. Spousal visa needs a lot more evidences like joint bank accounts and joint utility bills. considering that you've only met each other 7 months ago, correct me if i'm wrong, i believe it would be challenging to provide necessary evidences for it. just my 2 cents

bma likes this.

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 177
Please update your flag here .

47 likes received
Hi Dorcas

Prospective Marriage Visa & Prospective Spouse Visa are the same thing.

If you are from a high risk country your tourist visa will come with a "no further stay" condition attached to it. Which means you are not eligible to apply for any further substantive visas while you are in Australia. If you were to arrive on a tourist visa, get married at the registry office, then go to DIAC & apply for the Spouse visa -- well, they'd happily take your $3,000 & then they would refuse your spouse visa application on the basis that you are not eligible. Meaning you would need to still go offshore & apply again, pay the $2,000 again, with a black mark visa refusal against your name. The other posts you were reading may have been people who are in Australia on substantive visas other than tourist (eg like a student visa).

Your only choice is to apply offshore, whether as PMV or Spouse. As wishful said, you may struggle to find sufficient evidence for the Spouse visa if you've only known each other a limited time (as you have to prove that you already have a shared life together & do not live apart permanently etc).

bma likes this.

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 37
Users Flag! From papuanewguinea

6 likes received
2 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskyisblue View Post
Hi Dorcas

Prospective Marriage Visa & Prospective Spouse Visa are the same thing.

If you are from a high risk country your tourist visa will come with a "no further stay" condition attached to it. Which means you are not eligible to apply for any further substantive visas while you are in Australia. If you were to arrive on a tourist visa, get married at the registry office, then go to DIAC & apply for the Spouse visa -- well, they'd happily take your $3,000 & then they would refuse your spouse visa application on the basis that you are not eligible. Meaning you would need to still go offshore & apply again, pay the $2,000 again, with a black mark visa refusal against your name. The other posts you were reading may have been people who are in Australia on substantive visas other than tourist (eg like a student visa).

Your only choice is to apply offshore, whether as PMV or Spouse. As wishful said, you may struggle to find sufficient evidence for the Spouse visa if you've only known each other a limited time (as you have to prove that you already have a shared life together & do not live apart permanently etc).
Dear Skybluisgirl,

thanks for the clearifications,

Now I need you to just maybe put me on the track by clearifying one las quiry..I am now proceeding with my PMV and will lodge it next week...so while this is still in progress for approval,,,Can I use a tourist visa,enter australia and marry my fiance on the 30th of December ? (Wedding plans are already made and preparations are underway)...After the wedding,i can always come back to my country and wait for the approval of the PMV(but i beleive we will have to advice the immigrations to upgrade to a partner visa)? so we can do a fly to each others country for visit until the PMV is approved..your comments please..ta


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 177
Please update your flag here .

47 likes received
Hi Dorcas

As I mentioned in the first post :: you must be a prospective (ie FUTURE) spouse to be eligible for PMV approval. ie you must NOT be already married when applying OR when its approved. If you apply for PMV, then get married before PMV is approved, then you are not eliglble for PMV and they will refuse your application. One of the conditions attached to PMV is that you must not marry your fiance before entering Australia.

If you apply for PMV, then arrive in Australia on a tourist visa & get married, you will have to formally request DIAC to change your application to Spouse visa. They may say no, & tell you to submit a fresh application for Spouse Visa (which may mean another application fee of $2,000 + all the work of organising documents again). Its entirely up to their discretion & a risk you take. If applying for Spouse Visa you will need to provide more substantial evidence.


  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2012, 12:47 AM
bma bma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NSW
Posts: 440
Users Flag! From australia

100 likes received
641 likes given
Hi Dorcas,

in my opinion PMV is the best solution for you. But unfortunately, you can't marry before the visa is approved. You need to enter Australia on this prospective marriage visa (and not on a tourist visa) and then get married.
If you read the Partner Migration booklet (Partner Migration Booklet) thoroughly, you'll see that a lot of evidence is needed for other partner visas. That is why getting married on a tourist visa and applying for a partner visa afterwords in not a good idea (due to lack of the evidence that the immigration wants to see).

Are you sure the waiting time for PMV is 12 - 14 months? That seems really long...

Good luck!


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marry during PMV on tourist visa? jess_needs_help Visas and immigration 1 04-16-2012 04:35 AM
Document submission after filing online application for 176 Visa? dhillon Visas and immigration 0 04-10-2012 04:45 AM
Irish tourist travel to OZ after Offshore Visa App submission suzdaley Visas and immigration 2 05-27-2011 12:46 PM
Can't I just fly to AUS and marry my fiancee on just a Visitors Visa?!?!?! SamanthaLK2009 Visas and immigration 2 02-08-2011 02:07 AM
PMV, or marry first & then do spouse visa? gardener Visas and immigration 3 08-16-2010 10:59 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com