Spouse / Partner Visa (Subclass 820) Lodged! And my experience with it...

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree4Likes

Spouse / Partner Visa (Subclass 820) Lodged! And my experience with it...


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 254
Users Flag! From singapore

70 likes received
8 likes given
Spouse / Partner Visa (Subclass 820) Lodged! And my experience with it...

Hey guys, I just lodged my partner visa application yesterday, 06 Aug '12 and I have to say it was a breeze, quite different from what I'd heard from past applicants. Times have changed!

Here's my experience, and I hope some of the information would be useful for those who are planning to apply

The night before lodging, I went through all my documents again, making sure all 'i's are dotted, all 't's crossed. Got my husband to look through the application papers as a third eye - I specifically told him to look out for any unanswered questions, and also to ensure that the information stated was correct. Oh, and I have been preparing this application for over 2 years lol...from researching to printing to photocopying to notarising to collecting statements. Phew! My paperwork was 5cm thick (which is nothing compared to some which are 10cm thick). In case anyone is wondering how I stored my paperwork, I took an A4 carton box (the ones used to store reams of A4 paper) and cut the body to height. So I got a custom-made box! I read in this forum about applicants putting their paperwork in pocket files or folders but I wasn't able to visualise how I was going to fit thick stacks of papers into the pocket folders. Each main section was held together by paperclips, and for sections where they got too thick, I didn't bother to bind that section. After all, all the papers fit nicely into my custom-made box.

Now earlier on, a week before lodgement, I'd called the DIAC hotline to ask if I needed to make an appointment to lodge my application, and I also wanted to ask about visa payment since payment is going to be made through my debit card, which requires the applicant to lodge the application in person. The phone officer apparently told me that I do not have to make an appointment, as appointments are only for applicants who are dangerously close to their visa expiring and need their applications expedited. This officer told me that I could go up to the counter and tell the staff that I wanted to make payment for my application, after which they'd give me a receipt and I can attach it to my application and send the whole thing off by post.

Just 3 days before lodgement, I booked a medical appointment to expedite the processing time. Since the immigration office was just a few doors down from the medical centre, I went to the immi office to verify the payment procedure. Now here's the cruncher. The counter staff told me, no I can not make a pre-payment. I have to lodge and pay at the same time. There's no how or why or what. It just isn't the procedure. Different people are telling me different things My tip for would-be applicants is, if you have time, go down to the immigration office in person and get all your inquiries answered.

With paperwork all in place, on that Monday morning, I made my way down to the Brisbane Immigration Department located in the city, with sister-in-law in tow. I was earlier advised to avoid the hours of 11am-2pm as it was lunch time and a lot of staff won't be around. We got there around 10am, although the office opens at 9am. Still, it wasn't packed at all. I'd say there were around 2 or 3 people (or maybe just 1? My memory's going..) ahead of me in the counter queue. Well I explained to the counter staff what I wanted (to lodge a partner visa application), and she asked to sight Forms 47 and 40, mainly to ensure that both the applicant's and sponsor's signatures have been put down. (This seems to be a particular point with DIAC, so do take note of this.)

The wait was unbelievably short. My number was up next and I don't think I waited over 5 minutes for my ticket to be called. Once I started talking to the lodging officer, here's where it got very cool and exciting. She was helpful and efficient, not exactly bubbly friendly but definitely polite and professional, and in some ways reassuring. Like the counter officer, she took flipped through Forms 47 and 40, making sure that the signatures are in place.

I was a little nervous when lodging the visa, because I came here on a tourist visa and wasn't sure how my lodgement would go. I did try to explain this to the lodgement officer but amazingly she just brushed my concerns aside ("oh that's fine!"). Once she keyed in my details, she immediately gave me a bridging visa, no questions asked (oh wow!!) and even swivelled the computer screen so we could both look at it and I could see how my bridging visa was queued under my existing tourist visa. This meant that once my tourist visa expires in 2 months, my bridging visa would come into effect. She explained that I wouldn't be able to work on the bridging visa, but if I wanted to, all I need to do is fill in Form 1005 to request to change the conditions on my bridging visa. She made it sound so easy - "It's just a 2-3 page form." She was absolutely helpful. She wrote out the date when my bridging visa will be validated, and also wrote about Form 1005 on a sticky note. I was asked to pay the visa fee (AUD3,060 - up from AUD2,960 last financial year), got my receipt, and that's done!

Another interesting fact that the officer told me, and which I wasn't aware of, is the 2-year waiting period to obtain Australia PR starts from the date of lodgement, not the day of visa approval or when the bridging visa starts. How nice is that!

As for processing times, my sister-in-law did the questioning this time (I didn't bother asking because I've read so many times in this forum that it's very subjective and can take as fast as a month or as long as a year), and the officer said that it could take up to 12 months to be assigned a case officer, and once the CO goes through my file and is satisfied, the visa can be granted just like that (the officer snapped her fingers )

Let me know if anyone has questions on my experience, post it in this thread so that all can read and learn from each other.

Cheers!
Miss Swan

bma, Adventuress and lawyergal like this.

Last edited by Miss Swan; 08-06-2012 at 10:27 PM.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 10
Users Flag! From australia

Yes i to did the same and yes it was easy enough and because we have school aged kids it was only month later the visa 820 was granted Although we were both asked to supply federal police checks even know its not on any of the paperwork required. All in all a easy process i thought


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 AM
dingo144's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 298
Users Flag! From austria

53 likes received
28 likes given
Congratulations Miss Swan!

I had a similar experience...they guy taking my application was really nice and working efficient so much better then the people on the hotline, they are always telling you different things about the same thing...

Form 1005 is really easy to fill in and if you can proof that you have financial hardship you can get it granted in just a few days...!

Oh I didn't know about that the PR waiting time starts with the day of lodgment...that's amazing!!! :-) ...thx for that info

All the best for you !

__________________


Bridging Visa A granted 5.April 2012
Work restriction removed 4.May 2012

Bridging Visa B granted 10.July 2012 (travel in August)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2012, 09:47 AM
BBK BBK is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 40
Users Flag! From uk

5 likes received
Thanks Miss Swan thats all great to know.

Just wanted to confirm you appiled from tourist visa ( of course without the no further stay ) to a partner visa and had no problems ?

Hope all goes well in few months getting work restrictions lifted


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 10
Users Flag! From australia

Yes i would be interested to know that as well if a no further stay visa can be changed via the partner 802 visa


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 19
Users Flag! From france

1 likes received
2 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Swan
Hey guys, I just lodged my partner visa application yesterday, 06 Aug '12 and I have to say it was a breeze, quite different from what I'd heard from past applicants. Times have changed!

Here's my experience, and I hope some of the information would be useful for those who are planning to apply

The night before lodging, I went through all my documents again, making sure all 'i's are dotted, all 't's crossed. Got my husband to look through the application papers as a third eye - I specifically told him to look out for any unanswered questions, and also to ensure that the information stated was correct. Oh, and I have been preparing this application for over 2 years lol...from researching to printing to photocopying to notarising to collecting statements. Phew! My paperwork was 5cm thick (which is nothing compared to some which are 10cm thick). In case anyone is wondering how I stored my paperwork, I took an A4 carton box (the ones used to store reams of A4 paper) and cut the body to height. So I got a custom-made box! I read in this forum about applicants putting their paperwork in pocket files or folders but I wasn't able to visualise how I was going to fit thick stacks of papers into the pocket folders. Each main section was held together by paperclips, and for sections where they got too thick, I didn't bother to bind that section. After all, all the papers fit nicely into my custom-made box.

Now earlier on, a week before lodgement, I'd called the DIAC hotline to ask if I needed to make an appointment to lodge my application, and I also wanted to ask about visa payment since payment is going to be made through my debit card, which requires the applicant to lodge the application in person. The phone officer apparently told me that I do not have to make an appointment, as appointments are only for applicants who are dangerously close to their visa expiring and need their applications expedited. This officer told me that I could go up to the counter and tell the staff that I wanted to make payment for my application, after which they'd give me a receipt and I can attach it to my application and send the whole thing off by post.

Just 3 days before lodgement, I booked a medical appointment to expedite the processing time. Since the immigration office was just a few doors down from the medical centre, I went to the immi office to verify the payment procedure. Now here's the cruncher. The counter staff told me, no I can not make a pre-payment. I have to lodge and pay at the same time. There's no how or why or what. It just isn't the procedure. Different people are telling me different things My tip for would-be applicants is, if you have time, go down to the immigration office in person and get all your inquiries answered.

With paperwork all in place, on that Monday morning, I made my way down to the Brisbane Immigration Department located in the city, with sister-in-law in tow. I was earlier advised to avoid the hours of 11am-2pm as it was lunch time and a lot of staff won't be around. We got there around 10am, although the office opens at 9am. Still, it wasn't packed at all. I'd say there were around 2 or 3 people (or maybe just 1? My memory's going..) ahead of me in the counter queue. Well I explained to the counter staff what I wanted (to lodge a partner visa application), and she asked to sight Forms 47 and 40, mainly to ensure that both the applicant's and sponsor's signatures have been put down. (This seems to be a particular point with DIAC, so do take note of this.)

The wait was unbelievably short. My number was up next and I don't think I waited over 5 minutes for my ticket to be called. Once I started talking to the lodging officer, here's where it got very cool and exciting. She was helpful and efficient, not exactly bubbly friendly but definitely polite and professional, and in some ways reassuring. Like the counter officer, she took flipped through Forms 47 and 40, making sure that the signatures are in place.

I was a little nervous when lodging the visa, because I came here on a tourist visa and wasn't sure how my lodgement would go. I did try to explain this to the lodgement officer but amazingly she just brushed my concerns aside ("oh that's fine!"). Once she keyed in my details, she immediately gave me a bridging visa, no questions asked (oh wow!!) and even swivelled the computer screen so we could both look at it and I could see how my bridging visa was queued under my existing tourist visa. This meant that once my tourist visa expires in 2 months, my bridging visa would come into effect. She explained that I wouldn't be able to work on the bridging visa, but if I wanted to, all I need to do is fill in Form 1005 to request to change the conditions on my bridging visa. She made it sound so easy - "It's just a 2-3 page form." She was absolutely helpful. She wrote out the date when my bridging visa will be validated, and also wrote about Form 1005 on a sticky note. I was asked to pay the visa fee (AUD3,060 - up from AUD2,960 last financial year), got my receipt, and that's done!

Another interesting fact that the officer told me, and which I wasn't aware of, is the 2-year waiting period to obtain Australia PR starts from the date of lodgement, not the day of visa approval or when the bridging visa starts. How nice is that!

As for processing times, my sister-in-law did the questioning this time (I didn't bother asking because I've read so many times in this forum that it's very subjective and can take as fast as a month or as long as a year), and the officer said that it could take up to 12 months to be assigned a case officer, and once the CO goes through my file and is satisfied, the visa can be granted just like that (the officer snapped her fingers )

Let me know if anyone has questions on my experience, post it in this thread so that all can read and learn from each other.

Cheers!
Miss Swan
Hi Miss Swan,
Congratulations!

Can you please clarify "the 2-year waiting period to obtain Australia PR starts from the date of lodgement, not the day of visa approval or when the bridging visa starts".

Which visa are your initially referring to?

Thanks!


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 10
Users Flag! From australia

Visa 820 Starts from date of approval not when lodged


  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 105
Users Flag! From thailand

36 likes received
71 likes given
How are Partner visas processed?

The combined Partner (UK820 / BS801) visa is considered an application for two separate visas. The two visas are Partner (Temporary) class UK subclass 820 and Partner (Permanent) class BS subclass 801. Partner visas are processed in two stages however you apply for both stages by completing and lodging one application. We refer to the two stages as Partner (Temporary) and Partner (Permanent):

- First stage: If you meet all the legal criteria for the Partner (Temporary) visa, you will be granted a subclass 820 visa. This visa will remain in effect until a decision is made on your Partner (Permanent) visa, which is usually two years after you lodged your Partner visa application.

- Second stage: If after the two year waiting period you meet all the legal criteria of the Partner (Permanent) visa, you will be granted a subclass 801 visa.

dingo144 likes this.

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 254
Users Flag! From singapore

70 likes received
8 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Thanks Miss Swan thats all great to know.

Just wanted to confirm you appiled from tourist visa ( of course without the no further stay ) to a partner visa and had no problems ?

Hope all goes well in few months getting work restrictions lifted
No, I didn't experience any further questioning nor problems during the lodgement process. It all went very smoothly. When I explained my tourist visa status, the clerk/officer brushed it off as if tons of people applied on tourist visas everyday.


  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 254
Users Flag! From singapore

70 likes received
8 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by turpsss View Post
Yes i would be interested to know that as well if a no further stay visa can be changed via the partner 802 visa
Hello, are you asking for a child visa (802) or partner visa (820?

well basically how it works is if the applicant comes on a tourist visa, which I did, a bridging visa will be given upon application so that I can be allowed to stay on once my tourist visa ends. It really depends on what visa you have been given. If you're on a visa that isn't of a tourist nature, I won't be able to advise you further.

Cheers!


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lodged Spouse and Tourist visa same day (spouse first) maggiedixon New member introductions 8 04-24-2012 04:30 AM
Has anyone lodged partner visa by post? schultzal Visas and immigration 12 02-15-2012 08:22 AM
spouse visa lodged on october 2010 in the philippines? touch_of_pink2000 Visas and immigration 5 04-20-2011 12:48 AM
ACS Application lodged - Some tips from my experience Sanju Visas and immigration 3 02-01-2011 11:07 AM
Partner Points- Professional Experience Reqd for Spouse vinay Visas and immigration 1 01-24-2011 12:13 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:48 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com