Skilled Independent Visa 189 Enquiry

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Skilled Independent Visa 189 Enquiry

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2016, 12:58 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Users Flag! From malaysia

Skilled Independent Visa 189 Enquiry

Hey everyone.

I am currently a 2nd year international business IT student in Australia. I came across some graduate programs from certain companies but the eligibility there has me confused.

This is what is stated here.

"You are eligible to apply for Australian permanent residency under the Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) and you must submit an Expression of Interest via the SkillSelect process immediately after graduating"

To my understanding, ever since 2014, in order to apply for a skill assessment(Post Australian Study Skill) from the ACS for application of the 189 visa, the applicant must have one year of relevant work experience or go through a 44-52 weeks Professional Year Program that costs 11k AUD; making it seem impossible to apply for this visa immediately.

Did I miss anything here? Or is there another way to submit an EOI without the skill assessment from the Australian Computer Society? I tried asking the company, but all I got was a copy pasted response from their site which I already read and doesn't answer my question.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2016, 04:55 AM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,220
Users Flag! From canada

1528 likes received
148 likes given
To submit an EOI, you must have a positive skills assessment from ACS. Getting a positive skills assessment generally requires at least 2 years relevant work experience in your occupation, however I believe one year relevant work experience+professional year is also enough to get a positive skills assessment. You should be able to confirm this through the ACS website.

186 visa - Temporary Residence Transition stream
Granted Dec 2013

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2016, 05:08 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Users Flag! From malaysia

Hey there,

Thank you for confirming! Yeah I did check with ACS. Either one year of experience or a PYP qualifies you for the Post Australia Study Skill assessment, which can be used for migration purposes.

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2016, 05:30 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 3,340
Users Flag! From australia

682 likes received
239 likes given
Hi Maggie-May24

If the candidate studied in Australia, then one year of highly relevant work experience on top of highly relevant qualification is enough. For any degree outside Australia it is 2 years highly relevant work experience on top of a highly relevant qualification. If the qualification and/or work experience is not highly relevant then they need additional work experience.

Jeremy W Hooper BEng MSc Grad Dip App Finance Dip Australian Migration Law MMIA MMA, MM&EA
MARN 0107902

[email protected]

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nurse Skilled Independent Visa 189 JenniMcQue Visas and immigration 1 01-28-2016 09:08 PM
Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa Nomyous Visas and immigration 3 08-23-2013 12:45 AM
189 skilled independent visa katkimmins Visas and immigration 1 07-11-2013 12:33 AM
Skilled Independent Visa - 189 Thameem Visas and immigration 2 05-24-2013 03:39 AM
Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa opportunist86 Visas and immigration 0 07-21-2012 11:30 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.