what kind of visa do i need

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

what kind of visa do i need

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2016, 05:30 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
Users Flag! From usa

what kind of visa do i need

Hi everyone.

I am a US citizen with an Australian partner. I visited Australia last year and stayed for 3 months, I entered with an ETA visa. This year I entered Australia on December 1st and I stayed 3 months, then I went to Thailand for 2 weeks and came back, I will stay 2 more months. This year I also entered Australia with an ETA visa. I have a job that is seasonal and enables me to be free to travel for 3 to 5 months every year and how my partner is Australian I decided to come to Australia this time.

The last time I entered Australia I had to talk to a migration officer who told me that if I enter the country with an ETA visa next time, I may have troubles because that is not the kind of visa I need.

I would like to come and visit Australia every year for at least 3 months... what kind of visa do I need?

I just got engaged last month, I will get married in the next year or so... is it better to apply for a partner visa instead of a tourist visa?


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2016, 03:59 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
Users Flag! From germany

1 likes received
Dear janetjaramillo

Your story sounds pretty much exactly like mine So I can definitely help you.

I had the exact same talk with immigration at the airport.
The problem is that the tourist visa is not meant for that purpose. It is not illegal what you're doing, it's simply not what that kind of visa is for.

The right visa for you would be the prospective marriage visa. It is valid for nine months and you have to get married within that time.
After the wedding you simply switch over to a partner visa which, after approval, lets you come and go and stay as you please.

But be aware of the visa charge for the prospective marriage visa, it is a lot.
Also, you need to provide evidence of basic wedding plans. For example the Notice of Intended Marriage has to be handed in and you need a letter from the celebrant saying that he received it. Also, you need to have a venue for the reception booked.

What is also really important that you absolutely cannot be in Australia while the prospective marriage visa is being processed. And that can take up to 6-9 months.

I hope I could help

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2016, 04:07 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 746
Users Flag! From australia

168 likes received
40 likes given
Kim (PS love the show huge fan )
Just one correction is your last statement.
You can enter Australia while the PMV is being processed so long as you have a relevant visa, such as tourist.
However the visa cannot be granted while you are in the country.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need your kind advice sali1234 Visas and immigration 13 02-20-2015 02:46 AM
please help about kind of visa hamoooda1 Visas and immigration 4 03-25-2014 09:10 AM
What kind of visa number for dependant child ilalang Visas and immigration 0 12-16-2013 07:50 AM
Have a PhD in cancer research, what kind of visa for a postdoc? Ana Visas and immigration 1 02-07-2011 08:46 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.