Question for partner visa 820 asked by CO. STRESS!

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Question for partner visa 820 asked by CO. STRESS!

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2016, 04:05 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 23
Users Flag! From australia

2 likes received
Question for partner visa 820 asked by CO. STRESS!

I have applied Visa 820 onshire for my wife and after more than a year, I have finally been assigned and there was a thing i am worried in regards to the name change and have been requested by our CO

Evidence of your name change. As you have changed your name since birth, please provide evidence of this that shows your former and current names, and evidence of how and when your name was changed. This may be a marriage certificate, deed poll or your country’s equivalent documentation.

This is something that is worrying us.

Here's the thing. My wife is present in Australia. Her birth name Hoi Nam Chan born 1975 and 18 years later, she ADDED her english name as Hoi Nam JESSICA Chan in Hong Kong to her passport. The thing is when she turned 18 as an adult , she added from Hoi Nam Cham to Hoi Nam JESSICA Chan just like that as she did not require to fill in the name of change because back in the old days, it was not as strict as it is now. Same thing applies in Australia where you could change your name however you like in the old days.

So therefore, as from the CO request, there is no way she can prove that her name has been changed other than showing her birth certificate, old passport of her original name and then showing her later of her new passport, marriage certificate, ID document which has the new added English name, so what can she do to explain or prove that?

I know in Australia, you can go to the birth registry and do the name change but I am not sure how it can be done especially when she is in Australia and not in Hong Kong

Any answer or help would be greatly appreciated!!

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2016, 04:13 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 63
Users Flag! From australia

18 likes received
17 likes given
I would recommend emailing your CO (just reply to the email you received), and explaining why the name change is difficult to document, and ask if they can offer some is possible they will accept a statutory declaration explaining everything - but only they can tell you for sure.


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partner Visa - being asked to leave Australia Yerevanits Visas and immigration 13 04-09-2016 05:17 AM
CO asked for additional documents for the 820/801, HELP ! BritInPerth Visas and immigration 1 04-01-2016 09:47 PM
Quick 820 Partner visa question lmd123 Visas and immigration 4 03-17-2016 05:54 AM
Subclass 820 Partner Visa Question keyur11 Visas and immigration 9 03-18-2015 09:06 PM
Partner Visa 820 - Marriage certificate question Pxer Visas and immigration 12 05-21-2013 07:34 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.