Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information

Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information (
-   Visas and immigration (
-   -   Can I be an Early Childhood teacher in Queensland? (

w.cabin 06-15-2016 03:08 PM

Can I be an Early Childhood teacher in Queensland?

I am from the UK and have a BA in Early Childhood Studies and know of a pre-school in Queensland that is offering me a job working for them.

Do I need to have 2 years working experience and a PGCE for this to work or is having the uni degree by itself sufficient to apply for a working visa?


Verystormy 06-16-2016 05:24 AM

In order to gain registration you would need 4 years of study at higher education. A 3 year degree is not sufficient.

w.cabin 06-16-2016 11:14 AM

So do a Masters or PGCE ? Are there any other options?

Verystormy 06-17-2016 05:07 AM

Basically yes. You also need to be aware that there is no guarantee that this occupation will still be available once you are in a position to get a visa / registration. There are a lot of primary teachers moving into this area due to there being too many primary teachers for jobs.

w.cabin 06-17-2016 03:06 PM

Would you tell me where I can get this info about 4 years Higher Ed. online for working in QLD? Thanks. I don't feel like doing another year or so of study.

KofteQueen 06-18-2016 10:42 AM

As Verystormy mentioned, you need a 4-year university qualification, such as a 3-year Bachelors degree plus Dip. Ed. (or PGCE) or a 4-year Bachelor of Education degree to teach in Australian schools. Pre-schools / day care centres may have different requirements in terms of qualifications needed, but I believe you still have to be registered as an Early Childhood Teacher with the Queensland College of Teachers.

I'm not sure that I'm allowed post links, so I recommend you look at the ACECQA website (Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority), and the Queensland Government Department of Education website, since that is where you want to work. The ACECQA site lists the approved/recognised Early Childhood Teacher qualifications.

Naturally, your overseas qualification will need to be assessed.You will also be required to provide a police check from the UK and be able to obtain a Working with Children Check for Queensland.

w.cabin 06-18-2016 06:30 PM

Thanks for your replies. I hope to get in contact with somebody there to find out the exact details regarding pre-school.

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.