Onshore Partner Visa (820) - Move Overseas?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Onshore Partner Visa (820) - Move Overseas?

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2016, 03:49 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4
Users Flag! From australia

Onshore Partner Visa (820) - Move Overseas?

My partner (who is Japanese) submitted an application for an onshore partner visa (820) only last month and was granted a bridging visa A (BVA).

An opportunity has now come up for me to work in Japan on a 2-3 year secondment. We would like to take this opportunity, but are worried about how to proceed with the visa application, as we want to return to Australia after the work assignment is finished.

Is there a way to change the application from an onshore application to an offshore application? Or is there a way that we can move to Japan whilst still maintaining the visa application?

It is all a bit confusing, so help would be much appreciated.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2016, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 3,340
Users Flag! From australia

682 likes received
239 likes given
You can maintain your present visa application as long as your partner returns to Australia for visa grant. Your partner and you both should notify the Department of change of address (Form 929) together with a letter explaining your situation and let them know that you partner will be able to attend any interviews if necessary and will return to Australia when the application is ready to be finalised.

Jeremy W Hooper BEng MSc Grad Dip App Finance Dip Australian Migration Law MMIA MMA, MM&EA
MARN 0107902

[email protected]


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Move overseas while on 820 Visa FrenchKoala Visas and immigration 1 01-06-2016 11:32 AM
Partner Visa Valid If Move Overseas? Jamie06 Visas and immigration 1 12-12-2015 08:35 PM
Can you be employed overseas whilst applying for onshore partner (820) visa? KarenVG Visas and immigration 1 10-18-2015 08:27 PM
Onshore 820 visa - how long can one stay overseas? pearl58 Visas and immigration 2 01-19-2015 03:22 PM
Can I move overseas for 2 years while on temporary defacto visa? Maija Visas and immigration 5 09-02-2011 05:44 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.