What to do once you arrive in Australia

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree10Likes

What to do once you arrive in Australia


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 PM
louiseb's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia now, but lived in Malta born in the UK
Posts: 1,036
Users Flag! From australia

270 likes received
287 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to louiseb
Exclamation What to do once you arrive in Australia

so i started this thread for those like me who have many questions on what and where and how to do things in Australia once we all arrive.
Hopefully this thread will help many of us who are not sure about certain things, my questions are few but still important to me. Maybe each and everyone of us can share information on different issues we have or on help and advice through personal circumstances/ difficulties. So please feel free to help on issues a person must know and understand when they first enter Australia what should a foreigner know, what advice would you give a person?

Louise

kttykat and tiffan like this.
__________________
i wish to see the smiles of loved ones reunited after months of waiting, god bless you all


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,031
Users Flag! From usa

4418 likes received
6267 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiseb View Post
so i started this thread for those like me who have many questions on what and where and how to do things in Australia once we all arrive.
Hopefully this thread will help many of us who are not sure about certain things, my questions are few but still important to me. Maybe each and everyone of us can share information on different issues we have or on help and advice through personal circumstances/ difficulties. So please feel free to help on issues a person must know and understand when they first enter Australia what should a foreigner know, what advice would you give a person?

Louise
Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh, I want to be going there SO BADLY! Waaaaaaah!

Okay, done whining. I know there will be others with something actually useful to contribute.

leesha likes this.
__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 PM
MarkNortham's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 9,688
Users Flag! From australia

1442 likes received
150 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to MarkNortham
Great idea for a thread, Louise!

I'll start with 2 things - informal language and a couple of practical points:

Language - As you'll see when you get here (I'm originally from the USA), the Australian "brand" of English is a big different. Lots of slang, which you'll pick up fairly quickly, ie "cheers" = "thanks", "good on you!" means "good job", "bowser" = "petrol pump", "petrol" = "gasoline", "fair dinkum" = "a fair or equitable thing", "crook" = "sick", etc... Plus, professions get an "-ie" after them, ie a tradesperson is a "tradie", an electrician is a "sparky", etc.

Driving - If you plan to drive when you're here (most people do) and you haven't become comfortable driving on the left side of the road in your home country, allow time to get used to this - it can be a bit unnerving for those experiencing it for the first time. The other driving issue to learn about in Australia is roundabouts, which are used in most places in place of traffic lights. In Australia roundabouts go clockwise, and you always yield to the person on your right if they are entering or already in the roundabout. See your local state roads & transit authority about getting an Australian driver license, and they will want proof of how long your current license has been in effect, so it's handy to bring any previous drivers licenses with you in addition to your current one if you have the old ones.

Good luck!

Best,

Mark Northam

myallstone and tiffan like this.
__________________
Mark Northam
Immigration Lawyer and Registered Migration Agent

LLB, GradDipLaw, GradCertMigrLaw, BBA(Acctg) MARN 1175508
Northam Lawyers http://nlaw.com.au [email protected]
Co-Host, Coming 2 Oz video show: http://coming2oz.com.au

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 09:13 PM
louiseb's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia now, but lived in Malta born in the UK
Posts: 1,036
Users Flag! From australia

270 likes received
287 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to louiseb
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGirl View Post
Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh, I want to be going there SO BADLY! Waaaaaaah!

Okay, done whining. I know there will be others with something actually useful to contribute.
Some one please get the tissues poor CG you,ll be there soon hun.
Louise (((((((((((HUGS N XXXX,S)))))))))))))))

__________________
i wish to see the smiles of loved ones reunited after months of waiting, god bless you all


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 PM
louiseb's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia now, but lived in Malta born in the UK
Posts: 1,036
Users Flag! From australia

270 likes received
287 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to louiseb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNortham View Post
Great idea for a thread, Louise!

I'll start with 2 things - informal language and a couple of practical points:

Language - As you'll see when you get here (I'm originally from the USA), the Australian "brand" of English is a big different. Lots of slang, which you'll pick up fairly quickly, ie "cheers" = "thanks", "good on you!" means "good job", "bowser" = "petrol pump", "petrol" = "gasoline", "fair dinkum" = "a fair or equitable thing", "crook" = "sick", etc... Plus, professions get an "-ie" after them, ie a tradesperson is a "tradie", an electrician is a "sparky", etc.
Oh boy i have trouble understanding English LOL ( no not really) after being out of the Uk for so long and forgeting allot of slang i know im going to be heading for some difficulty, i know theres a word the Ausie,s use a "Stubby" which i believe is some thing they wrap around a beer can, these words i find amusing, oh and the best one for us europeans is THONGS the first time i was asked if i wanted to buy a pair i was gobsmacked lol.

Quote:
Driving - If you plan to drive when you're here (most people do) and you haven't become comfortable driving on the left side of the road in your home country, allow time to get used to this - it can be a bit unnerving for those experiencing it for the first time. The other driving issue to learn about in Australia is roundabouts, which are used in most places in place of traffic lights. In Australia roundabouts go clockwise, and you always yield to the person on your right if they are entering or already in the roundabout. See your local state roads & transit authority about getting an Australian driver license, and they will want proof of how long your current license has been in effect, so it's handy to bring any previous drivers licenses with you in addition to your current one if you have the old ones.
Driving for me isnt a problem as here in Malta we drive the same side but and theres always a but, i cannot get used to the fact that ( so ive being told ) your not allowed to rest your arm out of the window as you get fined, this is a habbit with us europeans and something i need to get out of doing. Roundabouts just dont excist here ( well they do but we find them obsticles) we just pull out first come first serve, and for giving way to the right hmm well i wont go there lol. Driving and obeying all the rules will need to be practiced, and im starting here in Malta, much to most drivers annoyance especially those behind me.
You said the local state transport authority, now heres the question were would one find this office in the directory? would this be listed in the yellow/white pages under goverment offices is there such a listing for all goverment departments? .
Quote:
Good luck!

Best,

Mark Northam
Thanks mark

__________________
i wish to see the smiles of loved ones reunited after months of waiting, god bless you all


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 PM
MarkNortham's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 9,688
Users Flag! From australia

1442 likes received
150 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to MarkNortham
For the beer drinkers out there (not that I am any expert!)...

Stubby = short bottle of beer

Slab (of beer) = a case or 4 6-packs wrapped together in a tray, often cans.

Here's an excellent (and fun!) Australia slang dictionary:

Australian slang dictionary

Best,

Mark Northam

__________________
Mark Northam
Immigration Lawyer and Registered Migration Agent

LLB, GradDipLaw, GradCertMigrLaw, BBA(Acctg) MARN 1175508
Northam Lawyers http://nlaw.com.au [email protected]
Co-Host, Coming 2 Oz video show: http://coming2oz.com.au

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 PM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,031
Users Flag! From usa

4418 likes received
6267 likes given
You're an ex-pat American, Mark... that explains why Ktty and I both adore you. You're one of us! Muahahaha.

__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 PM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,031
Users Flag! From usa

4418 likes received
6267 likes given
Louise, another one that can get you in trouble if you go from the UK/Aus to the US with it is "rubber."

__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 11:21 PM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,031
Users Flag! From usa

4418 likes received
6267 likes given
Oh, and thanks for the hugs and kisses, Louise, honey. I'm just having a really rough day. Sometimes talking to him on Skype only makes me miss him more...

I'll be brave and share a picture and you can see just how dorky we are. (I'll probably only leave it up for a day or so, though. Trying to keep myself at least a smidge anonymous til I get my visa since I have a tendency to say what I think sometimes, LOL.)



(P.S. - This one is totally going in the evidence file. )

kttykat and louiseb like this.
__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

Last edited by CollegeGirl; 02-06-2013 at 11:31 PM.

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 PM
kttykat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,377
Users Flag! From usa

513 likes received
218 likes given
Does anybody know of any cat litter similar to tidy cats. We have tried Cat San clumping, Cat San Crystals, Animates clumping, Catlux softwood clumping, Max's cat litter and Homebrand non clumping. None have any odor control aside from the pine smell of the softwood.

None of the Cat litters we have tried so far are liked by all of the cats, you can please some of the cats some of the time but not all of them. Has anybody tried the Katz Loo litter? We can get it shipped but don't want to get a large order if it is no good.

Well at least the cats seem to be enjoying themselves here, they love to watch the cockatoos feeding, except when the cockatoos screech it freaks some of them out.

P.S. I know what you mean about the thongs , the other thing is when my hubby talks about wearing his jumper, just weird......

Thanks,

Kttykat




CollegeGirl likes this.

__________________

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
eVisitor - Stay after the "must not arrive after" pohomme Visas and immigration 9 08-24-2012 07:42 AM
documents needed for australian visa and when you arrive in Australia lapsa7 Visas and immigration 0 06-14-2012 07:32 PM
When first time arrive on Melbourne or Perth win25 Housing 9 06-03-2011 07:17 AM
How can you be on a lease with your partner the first day you arrive in Sydney? ruizjen Visas and immigration 2 06-01-2011 04:41 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:59 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com