List of things to do when you arrive in Australia

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree123Likes

List of things to do when you arrive in Australia

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM Editor
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 697
Users Flag! From australia

130 likes received
4 likes given
List of things to do when you arrive in Australia

While many people think the hard part of moving to Australia is arranging travel to your new-found homeland, there is still much work to be done once you land. This post will create a list of things to do when you arrive in Australia to give you an idea of what needs to be done, when it needs to be done and assistance with getting things done.

To start the list of we have noted a number of tasks to do below:

Check into temporary accommodation

Activate bank account

Explore your local area

Look for long-term rented accommodation

Ensure that your documentation is in order

We should be great if you would list any other actions you need to take upon landing in Australia and any assistance in making the move as simple as possible.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2013, 01:16 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 13
Please update your flag here .

11 likes received
Apply for medicare card
Apply for Tax File Number

Nelly87, JEdwards, LizBee and 5 others like this.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2013, 01:56 AM Editor
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 697
Users Flag! From australia

130 likes received
4 likes given
Hi AnnaPField

Welcome to the Forum and many thanks for your contribution to the thread

sugandha and Joe0161 like this.

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2013, 02:13 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 13
Please update your flag here .

11 likes received
No worries. Amazing website!

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 146
Please update your flag here .

19 likes received
7 likes given
If its your partner then create a joint bank account and join organisations that will mail you letters with their name and your address on the envelope.

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jordan
Posts: 456
Users Flag! From australia

344 likes received
325 likes given
I would like to add an important note about opening Australian bank accounts:

To open a bank account in Australia you need to present sufficient identity documents for verification of your identity.

If you are not an Australian resident or citizen and you would like to open an Australian bank account when you arrive in Australia, whether joint or single, then in the first six weeks after you arrive you can open a bank account if you present only your passport as ID.

After these six weeks, the banks will no longer accept your passport alone as ID, and will require a whole manner of other documents, such as bills that have your address, bank cards from other approved banks, driver's licence with address, etc.

So after six weeks it becomes a lot harder to open a bank account in Australia!

This is documented on here.

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Kantata's Avatar
Active Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 37
Users Flag! From canada

32 likes received
27 likes given
Check into getting your driver's licence for the state you've landed in.

Many countries' licences are accepted by Australia's various road authorities (with the exception of the Northern Territory) as valid licences to drive in Australia. For me, living in NSW, my Ontario driver's licence was fine. I was even able to apply for and receive a NSW driver's licence without any additional road or written testing. I had to provide proof of my residential NSW address, my passport, my Ontario license, and I also gave them my Ontario birth certificate (which they had trouble getting into their system but it all worked out). Because I've been driving for more than... five years, I think is the rule... they let me "self declare" how long I've held a valid licence. If you haven't held a licence that long, you will have to request a licence record from your licence issuing authority in your home country that shows how long you've been validly licenced. I have a combined car/motorcycle licence in Ontario and was able to get the same in NSW.

There is a waiting period for non-PRs, though. I think the lady at the RTO said it was six months. HOWEVER, if you have been in the country at least 12 months they waive the six-month waiting period even if you are not a PR. You just have to show them proof that you've been in Australia continuously for that length of time (ie passport entry stamp).

Also, here is a link that's incredibly useful for figuring out how to go about getting your licence. Overseas Driver Licences

AJ67, sarahw418, Mate2013 and 6 others like this.

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 170
Users Flag! From sweden

95 likes received
606 likes given
I hope my question fits in this thread.
Ive applied for temporary partner visa 309.
Once I get it (fingers crossed) where do I change my address so that it states Im living with my fiancee? Right now Im situated in Sweden.
I havent seen any info about this anywhere and my fiancee has no idea.
I just want to do things right and build stronger evidence of our relationship.

Too the above list in this thread Id like to add "Register partnership"at the birth registry if you are in a relationship.

Also to look into getting an australian drivers license.
I arranged and bought an international drivers license to bring with me in oct 2011 instead of my swedish.This will eventually expire so Ill be looking into it once I arrive in Oz on my 309.

Kantata likes this.

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Suze Rush's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 72
Users Flag! From usa

58 likes received
9 likes given
Send a message via Yahoo to Suze Rush Send a message via Skype™ to Suze Rush
Thanks for the advice everyone!

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 29
Users Flag! From uk

24 likes received
11 likes given
Following Kantata's post. You can drive in the NT on an international / interstate licence, but only for three months, after that you must get an NT licence. So if you plan to live there, as I did, it's best to get it sorted asap. Took me about 5 mins to transfer over my UK licence, and if i remember correctly it was $30. As an FYI - Random Breath Tests happen fairly frequently across Australia. I'd never had one before, and I had three in my first week!!

Along with everything else already said (medicare / Tax number / Bank account) I would say research a good mobile phone plan. My partner got me a really good mobile plan which came with loads of international minutes, handy for calling the family back home. And download the app 'Whatsapp' on your phone if you don't already have it and get all your friends to get it too. Sends text messages over the internet, so if you can get your phone connected to wifi then its free!!!

Most of all - get a guide book, look at trip advisor and go exploring!!

ahudson and KofteQueen like this.

Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A List of Things to Do Before You Migrate to Australia thejumpingkoala Visas and immigration 5 11-09-2014 11:52 PM
List of things to do before you emigrate to Australia Editor Visas and immigration 45 08-08-2014 02:13 PM
What to do once you arrive in Australia louiseb Visas and immigration 18 02-07-2013 04:43 AM
documents needed for australian visa and when you arrive in Australia lapsa7 Visas and immigration 0 06-14-2012 08:32 PM
Completed A PhD in Australia but not in ENSOL list personaa Visas and immigration 0 12-21-2010 07:13 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.