Skilled Independent Visa (189) - What's my occupation?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CCMS

Skilled Independent Visa (189) - What's my occupation?

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4
Users Flag! From germany

1 likes given
Skilled Independent Visa (189) - What's my occupation?

Hi there To introduce myself I'm Thomas from Germany.
On my research about permanent residency I stumbled upon this forum and as I have guessed I'm not the only one overwhelmed and confused by the information on the governments website.

I'm striving towards a permanent residency because I feel the lifestyle in Australia fits my personal needs a lot better.

My main focus so far is on the Skilled Independent Visa (189) because:
- I'm 25 years old (30 points)
- I have proficient to superior English skills (10-20 points)
- I have a Bachelor's degree in Economics (15 points)
That would put me close to or above the requirements of 60 points.

The problem for my situation now is that I just recently graduated and don't have any relevant work experience related to my degree to show. Therefore I don't really know if or which occupation would fit my situation as my degree would allow me to work in multiple fields (I was thinking to go with Accounting)

So is the 189 still an option for me or do I need to find another pathway and if so what would you recommend?

I would highly appreciate any kind of help and input

Cheers, Tom

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2016, 10:30 PM
CCMS's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cairns
Posts: 6,501
Users Flag! From australia

2397 likes received
178 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to CCMS
The first thing you should do is research the SOL/CSOL list of occupations and check which occupations you could possibly nominate. Then have a look if you would be able to get a skills assessment for any of those occupations, keeping in mind that for some occupations the skills assessment may require a certain amount of post qualification work experience.

krilllyn likes this.
Nick van Voorst
Registered Migration Agent 0640648

Please do not send Private Messages.
For any inquiries, please visit our website: AUSVISA or download OUR APP from the Apple Store or Google Play

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2016, 11:00 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4
Users Flag! From germany

1 likes given
Thanks for your quick reply!

I've checked the SOL/CSOL list and the only occupations that are worth considering would be Accountant, Land Economist and ICT Business Analyst. All of them require at least one year of highly specific work experience as my degree is not from Australia. So I guess that path wouldn't work for me, or do you think a migration agent could help me work around that somehow?

So what are my other options for permanent residency or at least staying in Australia for an extended period of time?
I'm currently on a Working Holiday Visa (first year) which runs out in about five months. I could get a second WHV, but I'd definitely prefer a visa with unrestricted working rights.
The only option I could come up with is finding a sponsor to get the temporary (skilled) work visa (457). Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2016, 11:24 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Syney NSW
Posts: 4,958
Users Flag! From australia

860 likes received
375 likes given
All of them require at least one year of highly specific work experience as my degree is not from Australia.
Accountants do not need work experience to qualify, but from what you have posted you would not qualify as an accountant without further studies, if at all.

Westly Russell
Registered Migration Agent
Number 0316072

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skilled Independent Visa 189 Enquiry ilovetaufu Visas and immigration 3 02-11-2016 06:30 AM
Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) Ellektra Visas and immigration 1 02-17-2015 01:48 AM
Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) awsum Visas and immigration 3 11-16-2014 08:28 PM
189 skilled independent visa katkimmins Visas and immigration 1 07-11-2013 01:33 AM
Skilled Independent Visa - 189 Thameem Visas and immigration 2 05-24-2013 04:39 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.