Applying for Visa 820 with less than 1 week of Student visa validity

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree11Likes

Applying for Visa 820 with less than 1 week of Student visa validity


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2013, 01:17 PM
SiteManager's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 53
Users Flag! From indonesia

2 likes received
64 likes given
Question Applying for Visa 820 with less than 1 week of Student visa validity

Hi People,

Can anyone please suggest me and clarify if it is possible for me to lodge Visa 820 on the basis of marriage after applying Marriage Certificate in one week before the student visa is expired ?

The reason I'm doing this is that because before the student visa is expired I need to go back home to my hometown for urgent family matter then I will go back to Australia while the student visa is still valid for about one week left. hence I buy the return ticket.

So practically I only have 3 working days before the student visa is expired.


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2013, 02:16 PM
kttykat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,377
Users Flag! From usa

513 likes received
218 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteManager View Post
Hi People,

Can anyone please suggest me and clarify if it is possible for me to lodge Visa 820 on the basis of marriage after applying Marriage Certificate in one week before the student visa is expired ?

The reason I'm doing this is that because before the student visa is expired I need to go back home to my hometown for urgent family matter then I will go back to Australia while the student visa is still valid for about one week left. hence I buy the return ticket.

So practically I only have 3 working days before the student visa is expired.
I am not a migration agent so it is just my opinion but wont the border people look at you coming back to Australia with a week on a student visa as being very suspicious? I wouldn't be surprised if they were to give you a hard time about it, since you wont have anytime to actually study anything despite technically having a valid visa.

Kttykat




SiteManager likes this.
__________________

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM
SiteManager's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 53
Users Flag! From indonesia

2 likes received
64 likes given
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttykat View Post
I am not a migration agent so it is just my opinion but wont the border people look at you coming back to Australia with a week on a student visa as being very suspicious? I wouldn't be surprised if they were to give you a hard time about it, since you wont have anytime to actually study anything despite technically having a valid visa.

Kttykat
Yes I know that my study has finished already, but then I need to come back to Sydney to lodge the Visa 820 with my partner by signing the form in BDM NSW


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2013, 02:41 PM
kttykat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,377
Users Flag! From usa

513 likes received
218 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteManager View Post
Yes I know that my study has finished already, but then I need to come back to Sydney to lodge the Visa 820 with my partner by signing the form in BDM NSW
Oh I understand why you want to do it, it is just my opinion that you run the risk of being denied entry when you arrive back.

Kttykat




SiteManager likes this.
__________________

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 254
Users Flag! From singapore

70 likes received
8 likes given
I am guessing in less than a week's time, you'd have lodged your application and you'd be on a bridging visa A since your student visa would have expired.

However from my personal experience, I'm not sure if your bridging visa gives you the right to travel. My personal experience with bridging visa A (originial visa was tourist visa) is I had to apply for Bridging visa B, which was a visa that gave me the right to travel. Without that, I couldn't travel. Well technically I could travel OUT of Australia, but I'd not be able to get IN :P The application took 2 weeks to approve and cost me $125.

I don't know about DIAC rules now but I'm very positive that you need to apply for Bridging Visa B.

SiteManager likes this.
__________________


Medicals completed 03/08/12. Arrived on 04/07/2012.
Working rights applied on 14/10/2012. Working rights granted 29/10/2012.

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2013, 05:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Perth
Posts: 520
Users Flag! From canada

279 likes received
185 likes given
If you are still in Australia is it possible to submit your 820 application on shore before you go home to visit? That way when you re-enter on your student visa you can show your letter confirming your BVA grant that will come into effect when your student visa expires.

SiteManager likes this.
__________________

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2013, 06:02 AM
kttykat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,377
Users Flag! From usa

513 likes received
218 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
If you are still in Australia is it possible to submit your 820 application on shore before you go home to visit? That way when you re-enter on your student visa you can show your letter confirming your BVA grant that will come into effect when your student visa expires.
That sounds like a good idea, except the way I read the original post, they won't be married if they apply now and therefore their 820 application would be invalid at the time of application if they didn't meet the 12 month living together requirement.

Kttykat




SiteManager likes this.
__________________

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2013, 06:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Perth
Posts: 520
Users Flag! From canada

279 likes received
185 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttykat View Post
That sounds like a good idea, except the way I read the original post, they won't be married if they apply now and therefore their 820 application would be invalid at the time of application if they didn't meet the 12 month living together requirement.

Kttykat
I should have guessed there'd be a catch!

__________________

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2013, 06:19 AM
kttykat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,377
Users Flag! From usa

513 likes received
218 likes given
I also hope Site realizes that you can't just go in and get married, you need to apply 30 days in advance in Australia.

Kttykat




SiteManager likes this.
__________________

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2013, 06:22 AM
SiteManager's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 53
Users Flag! From indonesia

2 likes received
64 likes given
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttykat View Post
That sounds like a good idea, except the way I read the original post, they won't be married if they apply now and therefore their 820 application would be invalid at the time of application if they didn't meet the 12 month living together requirement.

Kttykat
Yes, at the moment I guess the reason we both submit this certificate or Visa 820 form is just to avoid getting apart for longer time suppose we lodge it offshore with PMV300. Hence the BDM marriage certificate is the quickest solution that I can think of at the moment.

if anyone know any other solution please share it here.


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Urgent!! Applying for Student Visa whilst on Tourist Visa 676 PhysicsGal Visas and immigration 1 01-20-2013 05:20 AM
applying student visa in Australia sunchildster Education 3 05-09-2012 09:54 AM
Applying for Student visa while Partner visa is in progress aus2011 Visas and immigration 4 02-21-2011 11:16 PM
not enough evidence for defacto visa, will applying for a student visa be questioned? rachelt Visas and immigration 2 02-04-2011 02:58 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:35 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com