Form 888 Question

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree3Likes

Form 888 Question


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Pxer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Qld
Posts: 115
Users Flag! From usa

39 likes received
7 likes given
Send a message via Yahoo to Pxer
Form 888 Question

It says on the form that the person making the declaration has to provide proof of citizenship or permanent residency in Australia. I have several declarations coming from perm residents and none of them seem to know what proof to provide of their residency status. They don't have anything on their passports and they're not on visas or anything.
Does anyone know what they can provide because I certainly have no idea? What proof do people have of being permanent residents??

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,213
Users Flag! From australia

3687 likes received
1175 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxer View Post
It says on the form that the person making the declaration has to provide proof of citizenship or permanent residency in Australia. I have several declarations coming from perm residents and none of them seem to know what proof to provide of their residency status. They don't have anything on their passports and they're not on visas or anything.
Does anyone know what they can provide because I certainly have no idea? What proof do people have of being permanent residents??
Maybe a drivers license - in queensland you need to be a PR before you get a drivers license. Other than that DIAC would offer a certificate of residence status.


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Pxer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Qld
Posts: 115
Users Flag! From usa

39 likes received
7 likes given
Send a message via Yahoo to Pxer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish View Post

Maybe a drivers license - in queensland you need to be a PR before you get a drivers license. Other than that DIAC would offer a certificate of residence status.
Thanks Mish

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Perth
Posts: 520
Users Flag! From canada

279 likes received
185 likes given
Do they have visa grant letters from when they were granted PR? I would still ask for certified copies of their passports as well because based on that I'm sure the DIAC can verify their immigration status. (just guessing)

CollegeGirl likes this.
__________________

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Pxer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Qld
Posts: 115
Users Flag! From usa

39 likes received
7 likes given
Send a message via Yahoo to Pxer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
Do they have visa grant letters from when they were granted PR? I would still ask for certified copies of their passports as well because based on that I'm sure the DIAC can verify their immigration status. (just guessing)
Good point. And no they don't have anything like that. They've been here 40+ years (my sponsor's parents.) But they do have passports fortunately.

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Perth
Posts: 520
Users Flag! From canada

279 likes received
185 likes given
Yep. That makes a lot of sense that they wouldn't have anything. I was thinking more like my semi-sister in law (my de facto partner's brother's de facto partner who holds PR - haha!) who has a much more recent and more documented (I imagine) PR situation.

If you've got an hour to spend on hold I'm sure the immigration line could shed some light on this. And I'd love to see what the rest of the forum has to say.

__________________

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Pxer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Qld
Posts: 115
Users Flag! From usa

39 likes received
7 likes given
Send a message via Yahoo to Pxer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
Yep. That makes a lot of sense that they wouldn't have anything. I was thinking more like my semi-sister in law (my de facto partner's brother's de facto partner who holds PR - haha!) who has a much more recent and more documented (I imagine) PR situation.

If you've got an hour to spend on hold I'm sure the immigration line could shed some light on this. And I'd love to see what the rest of the forum has to say.
Haha i see. Oh yes im def going to call diac. I was just being impatient and didn't want to wait till Monday before i did some research :P

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 07:16 PM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,033
Users Flag! From usa

4424 likes received
6268 likes given
The way we proved my fiance's PR status to DIAC was with a certified copy of his passport. I imagine proof for Form 888 would work the same way. No, there's nothing written on the passport, but as Whitney noted above, they can check it electronically and verify that.

__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 254
Users Flag! From singapore

70 likes received
8 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Maybe a drivers license - in queensland you need to be a PR before you get a drivers license. Other than that DIAC would offer a certificate of residence status.
Not 100% true. I got my driver's license in Brisbane by converting my own local license. Australia has an agreement with certain countries which allows direct conversion of driving licenses without requiring tests. I was on a BVA then.

__________________


Medicals completed 03/08/12. Arrived on 04/07/2012.
Working rights applied on 14/10/2012. Working rights granted 29/10/2012.

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,213
Users Flag! From australia

3687 likes received
1175 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Swan View Post
Not 100% true. I got my driver's license in Brisbane by converting my own local license. Australia has an agreement with certain countries which allows direct conversion of driving licenses without requiring tests. I was on a BVA then.
Interesting because when I rang QLD Transport they said you can't get a QLD drivers license until you are either a PR or a citizen. I did think it was stupid because would meant that my fiance was driving on an international drivers license for maybe 3 years before getting a QLD one!! Insane!!


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Form 80, Question 21 Sonkos Visas and immigration 1 09-04-2012 03:01 PM
Form 80 question Guldsandal Visas and immigration 3 08-23-2012 01:29 AM
Question on Form 47Sp Question 81 psj Visas and immigration 1 05-06-2011 04:58 PM
Question regarding change of address form? [Form 929] rackspace Visas and immigration 0 05-02-2011 06:47 PM
Question regarding form 80!!! rav_85 Visas and immigration 26 08-22-2010 07:02 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:16 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com