Which visa??

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Which visa??

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

Which visa??

I live in North Vancouver, BC, Canada and would like to migrate to Australia from Canada to be near my only child who has been in Australia for 10 years and will be sworn in as an Australian citizen later this month. I am 56 years old and my de facto husband, 65 years old, will migrate with me. I am a registered nurse and would like to work in Australia if possible. I've looked into the aged parent visa, the contributory visa (very expensive) and the 457 visa and find it all quite confusing. If we chose the temporary contributory visa would I be able to work legally as soon as we apply? Also, what are the requirements of our sponsor/assurance of support? Would they need a certain level of income?

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Hi Bonnie and welcome to the forum,

And yes, no cheap solution for you it seems given that you have a ways to go for 65 and standard Aged parent visa.
I'm not sure how you would go if it was your defacto who was to apply but that could raise other complications if there are other children of his involved.

The temporary contributory visa will allow you to work though in nursing that would be conditional on your qualifications/exprience being assesd as entitling you to be registered in Australia.
If you look under the Skilled and Other Professionals section on the immi site you'll see a section for Doctors and Nurses and there's a link there to Australian organisation.

There's no financial requirement stated under Eligibility/Sponsor for the TCP visa but that is not to say that they would not expect your son to be a sound upstanding citizen etc., and have a lookin the "applying for this visa" section where there'll probably be a checklist with further links and also check the application forms, the sponsor too as they all reveal more detail of requirements.

Th other approach you could take would be to seek what employment opportunities there would be for nurses - always a shortage!
And the Nurses Federation website may have links to employment opportunities and initially go for a 457.
A 457 visa can lead to a permanent residency visa , though there is usually the 45 age restriction but that can be waived in some cases - no harm in trying that [with nurses a valued commodity].

At least you would not have had to outlay such a huge ammount up front if you still have to resort to a TCP or perhaps you can get some 457s back to back, or with a mini break inbetween and eventually lookat the standard aged parent visa - I've not ever looked at 457s back to back etc. and that needs checking.

Whatever you do and particularly if you go fr the TCP, do get the nursing qualifications approved first.
And before that, also check the eligibility re your partner just so there're not going to be any unwelcome surprises there in store too.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask again.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.